stevenlikesfishing

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
hello everyone I recently built a pc and used a rosewill 700watt rv-2 psu. Ive had it for about 3 months and works fine. but everyone is saying its crap and ruins there pcs. (should of read reviews :( ). should i upgrade to a corsair psu, im thinking modular. what do you think.

Solution
All XFX units are made by Seasonic.. So they will be pretty good.. Alternatively, there is an Antec 750W available at newegg for under 100$..

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025

Here are few reviews of it -

www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=140

www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/766

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I don't really have any experience of Rosewill PSU's but the problem with cheap, low-grade PSU's in general is that they endanger your whole PC if/when they fail. They can take out your MoBo and virutally anything connected to it because they often have poor failure management capabilities. Also, even though a PSU states 700W, if it is poor quality your system will not be able to draw anywhere close to that level with any stability.

Like I say, this is the case with general low-grade PSU's and may or may not apply to your particular brand.

If your computer only has low power requirements then your PSU may survive for quite a while. If you think your system may be pushing your power supply to anywhere remotely close to 700W I would get a new, branded PSU as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might be looking at a new psu AND mobo if it fails.

www.newegg.com/Product/ProductSpecification.aspx?Item=N82E16817182173

Is it the same PSU as linked above..? If yes then it has pretty ok amp ratings on its 12V rails but a very low efficiency rating.. Personally, I won't trust it for a system needing in excess of 500W power.. Now all that matters is how much is your system drawing at peak which can only be said once you give your detailed system specs..

stevenlikesfishing

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Can you please direct me to a good modular power supply under $100 for a:

amd athlon x4
gigabyte 880g at board
nvidia 220gt
ocz agility 2 60gb ssd
1tb western digital caviar black

build, I do movie/photoshop editing and play light-medium games.

All XFX units are made by Seasonic.. So they will be pretty good.. Alternatively, there is an Antec 750W available at newegg for under 100$..

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025

Here are few reviews of it -

www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=140

www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/766

Solution

TRENDING THREADS