Can I install 64 bit software over 32 bit

Hello,
I just determined that my processor is 64-bit ready. The computer was custom built and came with 32 bit windows installed. When I upgraded to Windows 7, I installed 32 Bit software. What I want to know is can I install the 64-bit Windows 7 software? I have both disks with the software Upgrade I bought. And if I do that will I run into a problem with programs already installed on this computer?

thanks,
bruphyvc
12 answers Last reply
More about install software
  1. There is no way to upgrade your 32bit to 64bit. You have to do a clean install.
  2. ok, thanks
    briuphyvc
  3. Yes, u need to perform a clean install ^^^.

Here's how Windows 7 Clean Install + Screens
  4. nikorr said:
    Yes, u need to perform a clean install ^^^.

Here's how Windows 7 Clean Install + Screens

I could do a clean install but then would lose all my installed programs and I am not willing to do that. But thank you for your response
  5. Well, its easy to back the data to another HDD or other partition or DVD/CD or USB pen drive. People do that everyday as a back up solution anyway.

If your HDD fail, and they do, will u lose all the data with it?
  6. nikorr said:
    Well, its easy to back the data to another HDD or other partition or DVD/CD or USB pen drive. People do that everyday as a back up solution anyway.

If your HDD fail, and they do, will u lose all the data with it?

Well I have all my 32 bit backed up on an external HD. If I install the 64 bit doing clean install much of that would not be compatible so I am just going to stick with the 32 bit.

Thanks for your response.
  7. bruphyvc said:
    Well I have all my 32 bit backed up on an external HD. If I install the 64 bit doing clean install much of that would not be compatible so I am just going to stick with the 32 bit.

Thanks for your response.

99% of the programs that works on W7 x32 will work on W7 x64 too : )

If something doesn't work, ask here bruphyvc ...
  8. I have win7 Home Premium 64bit. In my task manager I have a number of programs with a "*32" in the name showing me they are 32bit rather then 64bit. I don't have any problems running these programs. Odds are you'll be fine as well.
  9. There is the outside chance some program/hardware will require a 32-bit driver, but most all hardware these days has 64-bit driver installs. And 32-bit software that is run in converted to 64-bit at runtime by Windows. Only a very few apps will run into problems.
  10. Now I have another problem which began last evening. There is a terrific delay between pushing the power button and seeing the Motherboard flash screen and then Windows 7 loading. Then some of my functions don't work properly. I have scanned for malware, done an antivirus scan, cleaned the disk, ran the Windows 7 fixit program and I still have to problem. This is a new experience for me and don't know if it could be the motherboard going out or the hard drive. I have replaced the hard drive a couple years ago. Once the Windows 7 gets loaded it seems to work ok but is acting a little odd. Last evening I was online and had the window come up when you right click on customize toolbars. I had not right clicked and I could not get that window to go away. Today I tried booting from my Windows 7 disk and doing a repair installation but got to the ' checking compatibility' window, it told me the compatibility report had been put on desktop and the only option I had at that point was to close the window so the installation would not continue. I know I do not have a compatibility problem because I am running that program now.

Anybody have any ideas what could be happening here?
    thanks
  11. Run CHKDSK

Open the "Computer" window
    Right-click on the drive in question
    Select the "Tools" tab
    In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Computers Software