Can I install 64 bit software over 32 bit

bruphyvc

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hello,
I just determined that my processor is 64-bit ready. The computer was custom built and came with 32 bit windows installed. When I upgraded to Windows 7, I installed 32 Bit software. What I want to know is can I install the 64-bit Windows 7 software? I have both disks with the software Upgrade I bought. And if I do that will I run into a problem with programs already installed on this computer?

thanks,
bruphyvc

bruphyvc

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

Well I have all my 32 bit backed up on an external HD. If I install the 64 bit doing clean install much of that would not be compatible so I am just going to stick with the 32 bit.

Thanks for your response.

99% of the programs that works on W7 x32 will work on W7 x64 too : )

If something doesn't work, ask here bruphyvc ...

There is the outside chance some program/hardware will require a 32-bit driver, but most all hardware these days has 64-bit driver installs. And 32-bit software that is run in converted to 64-bit at runtime by Windows. Only a very few apps will run into problems.

bruphyvc

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Now I have another problem which began last evening. There is a terrific delay between pushing the power button and seeing the Motherboard flash screen and then Windows 7 loading. Then some of my functions don't work properly. I have scanned for malware, done an antivirus scan, cleaned the disk, ran the Windows 7 fixit program and I still have to problem. This is a new experience for me and don't know if it could be the motherboard going out or the hard drive. I have replaced the hard drive a couple years ago. Once the Windows 7 gets loaded it seems to work ok but is acting a little odd. Last evening I was online and had the window come up when you right click on customize toolbars. I had not right clicked and I could not get that window to go away. Today I tried booting from my Windows 7 disk and doing a repair installation but got to the ' checking compatibility' window, it told me the compatibility report had been put on desktop and the only option I had at that point was to close the window so the installation would not continue. I know I do not have a compatibility problem because I am running that program now.

Anybody have any ideas what could be happening here?
thanks