Sign in with
Your question

Can I install 64 bit software over 32 bit

Last response: in Windows 7
November 20, 2011 2:42:36 AM

Hello,
I just determined that my processor is 64-bit ready. The computer was custom built and came with 32 bit windows installed. When I upgraded to Windows 7, I installed 32 Bit software. What I want to know is can I install the 64-bit Windows 7 software? I have both disks with the software Upgrade I bought. And if I do that will I run into a problem with programs already installed on this computer?

thanks,
bruphyvc
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2011 3:17:41 AM

There is no way to upgrade your 32bit to 64bit. You have to do a clean install.
m
l
November 20, 2011 3:25:59 AM

ok, thanks
briuphyvc
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2011 5:53:40 PM

nikorr said:
Yes, u need to perform a clean install ^^^.

Here's how Windows 7 Clean Install + Screens

I could do a clean install but then would lose all my installed programs and I am not willing to do that. But thank you for your response
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2011 8:16:05 PM

Well, its easy to back the data to another HDD or other partition or DVD/CD or USB pen drive. People do that everyday as a back up solution anyway.

If your HDD fail, and they do, will u lose all the data with it?
m
l
November 29, 2011 11:19:36 PM

nikorr said:
Well, its easy to back the data to another HDD or other partition or DVD/CD or USB pen drive. People do that everyday as a back up solution anyway.

If your HDD fail, and they do, will u lose all the data with it?

Well I have all my 32 bit backed up on an external HD. If I install the 64 bit doing clean install much of that would not be compatible so I am just going to stick with the 32 bit.

Thanks for your response.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2011 11:27:56 PM

bruphyvc said:
Well I have all my 32 bit backed up on an external HD. If I install the 64 bit doing clean install much of that would not be compatible so I am just going to stick with the 32 bit.

Thanks for your response.

99% of the programs that works on W7 x32 will work on W7 x64 too : )

If something doesn't work, ask here bruphyvc ...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2011 12:50:24 AM

I have win7 Home Premium 64bit. In my task manager I have a number of programs with a "*32" in the name showing me they are 32bit rather then 64bit. I don't have any problems running these programs. Odds are you'll be fine as well.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2011 3:06:17 AM

There is the outside chance some program/hardware will require a 32-bit driver, but most all hardware these days has 64-bit driver installs. And 32-bit software that is run in converted to 64-bit at runtime by Windows. Only a very few apps will run into problems.
m
l
November 30, 2011 4:22:49 PM

Now I have another problem which began last evening. There is a terrific delay between pushing the power button and seeing the Motherboard flash screen and then Windows 7 loading. Then some of my functions don't work properly. I have scanned for malware, done an antivirus scan, cleaned the disk, ran the Windows 7 fixit program and I still have to problem. This is a new experience for me and don't know if it could be the motherboard going out or the hard drive. I have replaced the hard drive a couple years ago. Once the Windows 7 gets loaded it seems to work ok but is acting a little odd. Last evening I was online and had the window come up when you right click on customize toolbars. I had not right clicked and I could not get that window to go away. Today I tried booting from my Windows 7 disk and doing a repair installation but got to the ' checking compatibility' window, it told me the compatibility report had been put on desktop and the only option I had at that point was to close the window so the installation would not continue. I know I do not have a compatibility problem because I am running that program now.

Anybody have any ideas what could be happening here?
thanks
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
November 30, 2011 9:30:30 PM

Run CHKDSK

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.
m
l
!