Selling Photoshop cheap

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 23, 2005 9:36:40 AM

Retail version of Photoshop. Bidding starts at only $1.00

53&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Recently upgraded myself, so I'm eBaying my last version of Photoshop. This is
the full retail version with both Original CD's and manual , boxing etc.
Photoshop 5.0 for Windows. Not the latest version but great if your running a
previous version of Windows, or would like to use it as a base to upgrade
yourself.

Follow the link to see full description and photos.

Thanks

53&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:32:27 PM

The link says that the item was removed by e-bay. What's up with that?
Randy

"Rare Old Things" <rareoldthings@aol.com> wrote in message
> Retail version of Photoshop. Bidding starts at only $1.00
>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> 53&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>
> Recently upgraded myself, so I'm eBaying my last version of Photoshop.
> This is
> the full retail version with both Original CD's and manual , boxing etc.
> Photoshop 5.0 for Windows. Not the latest version but great if your
> running a
> previous version of Windows, or would like to use it as a base to upgrade
> yourself.
>
> Follow the link to see full description and photos.
>
> Thanks
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> 53&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:32:28 PM

The Balrog wrote:

> The link says that the item was removed by e-bay. What's up with that?

can it be that adobe does not allow you
to sell the old version when you up upgrade?

> Randy
Related resources
January 23, 2005 1:40:18 PM

In article <25idnUGyqYUWXm7cRVn-gw@adelphia.com>, balrog@7slotgrille.com
says...
> The link says that the item was removed by e-bay. What's up with that?
> Randy

Perhaps the seller is crooked???

NAH! ON EBAY???? NAH!

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:13:27 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:

>You don't own the software, you buy a license to use it.

That's true.

Regardless, one should still be allowed to sell/transfer the license.

-Astro

---
AstroPax Photography
http://nikon.astropax.com
---
January 23, 2005 2:50:50 PM

In article <ct0k4c$lsu$1@svr7.m-online.net>, volker.hetzer@gmx.de says...
> Why?
> It's his, he ought to be able to sell it oughtn't he?
>
> Lots of Greetings!
> Volker

If you read the license that comes with most software, you will notice that
you DONT own it, you purchased the right to USE it, but it still is OWNED by
the software company that sold you the right to USE it.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"The Balrog" <balrog@7slotgrille.com> wrote in message
> The link says that the item was removed by e-bay. What's up with that?
> Randy
>
> "Rare Old Things" <rareoldthings@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Retail version of Photoshop. Bidding starts at only $1.00

Because Adobe doesn't allow re-selling of PhotoShop on eBay. eBay will
remove it.
January 23, 2005 4:38:58 PM

"AstroPax" <astro@astropax.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:13:27 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:
>
> >You don't own the software, you buy a license to use it.
>
> That's true.
>
> Regardless, one should still be allowed to sell/transfer the license.
>
> -Astro

Adobe allows transfer of the license. You can get info from Adobe. They
don't allow a non-controlled sale. As the two users can still have a working
copy.
January 23, 2005 4:41:53 PM

Crownfield wrote:
> The Balrog wrote:
>
>>The link says that the item was removed by e-bay. What's up with that?
>

> can it be that adobe does not allow you
> to sell the old version when you up upgrade?
>

>>Randy

The common software licenses - which few peop;e bother to read - say that the buyer has bought only the right to use the
software. He doesn't own the software itself, and cannot legally sell the disks.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 7:31:52 PM

"AstroPax" <astro@astropax.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:13:27 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:
>
>>You don't own the software, you buy a license to use it.
>
> That's true.
>
> Regardless, one should still be allowed to sell/transfer the license.
>
> -Astro
>
> ---
> AstroPax Photography
> http://nikon.astropax.com
> ---

Not if you used THAT license for a reduced price upgrade.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 7:32:48 PM

"Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message

> "The Balrog" <balrog@7slotgrille.com> wrote in message
>> The link says that the item was removed by e-bay. What's up with that?
>> Randy
>>
>> "Rare Old Things" <rareoldthings@aol.com> wrote in message
>> > Retail version of Photoshop. Bidding starts at only $1.00
>> >
> Because Adobe doesn't allow re-selling of PhotoShop on eBay. eBay will
> remove it.

Now THAT they can't do. They can't limit the forum for sale. The problem is
this is a copy that has been upgraded.
January 23, 2005 10:04:41 PM

> "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message
> >
> > "The Balrog" <balrog@7slotgrille.com> wrote in message
> >> The link says that the item was removed by e-bay. What's up with that?
> >> Randy
> >>
> >> "Rare Old Things" <rareoldthings@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> >
> > Because Adobe doesn't allow re-selling of PhotoShop on eBay. eBay will
> > remove it.
> >

> Now THAT they can't do. They can't limit the forum for sale. The problem
is
> this is a copy that has been upgraded.

Adobe software for years has been yanked off of eBay. Adobe as owner of the
trademarks can have eBay cancel sales.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 11:32:23 PM

AstroPax wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:13:27 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:
>
> >You don't own the software, you buy a license to use it.
>
> That's true.
>
> Regardless, one should still be allowed to sell/transfer the license.

you can.

either you upgrade your license,
or you sell your license.

your choice.

> -Astro
>
> ---
> AstroPax Photography
> http://nikon.astropax.com
> ---
January 24, 2005 1:14:35 AM

Read the original. He has upgraded and wants to sell his old version.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"AstroPax" <astro@astropax.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:13:27 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:
>
> >You don't own the software, you buy a license to use it.
>
> That's true.
>
> Regardless, one should still be allowed to sell/transfer the license.
>
> -Astro
>
> ---
> AstroPax Photography
> http://nikon.astropax.com
> ---

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 5:12:33 AM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:32:27 -0500, "The Balrog"
<balrog@7slotgrille.com> wrote:

>The link says that the item was removed by e-bay. What's up with that?
>Randy

It works for me.
January 24, 2005 5:12:34 AM

"ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:32:27 -0500, "The Balrog"
> <balrog@7slotgrille.com> wrote:
>
> >The link says that the item was removed by e-bay. What's up with that?
> >Randy
>
> It works for me.

The link was broken as it doesn't wrap in some newsreaders. However as eBay
doesn't allow spamming usenet to promote an auction they may still remove
the item. Besides I never like Photoshop 5.0 all that much.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 5:12:34 AM

Ok, I see now where the link didn't wrap. It works for me as well. I still
don't think I am interested in it though! :)

Randy
"ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:32:27 -0500, "The Balrog"
> <balrog@7slotgrille.com> wrote:
>
>>The link says that the item was removed by e-bay. What's up with that?
>>Randy
>
> It works for me.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 8:04:45 AM

AstroPax wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:13:27 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:
>

>>You don't own the software, you buy a license to use it.
>

> That's true.
>
> Regardless, one should still be allowed to sell/transfer the license.

That's just it, Astro. Once he upgrades to the new version, be it 7.0
or CS, the license for his version 5.0 is VOID. There IS no license for
that unit any longer.

What he's done or trying to do is really no different that you buying a
software package, installing it on your computer and then passing it
along to all your friends and relatives for $10 a shot. Not nice, not
legal.
January 24, 2005 9:25:48 AM

Retail version of Photoshop. Bidding starts at only $1.00

Considering the number of "cracked" and "academic" versions for sale on
eBay I doubt that anybody (eBay or Adobe) is going to go after someone
selling a used copy of PS5.

I would however check with the seller to make sure that it hasn't
already been used to leverage an upgrade. If so, it's just an old
version and that's all it'll ever be. If it's NOT been used to upgrade,
then it's potentially a cheap way to get CS. Nothing wrong with that in
either case, it just affects how much it's really worth.

Dave

---
View my photo gear for sale on eBay:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwebkatz02
January 24, 2005 10:56:52 AM

"Dave" <webkatz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Retail version of Photoshop. Bidding starts at only $1.00

> The link works fine for me too. I think some folks here are sadly
> misinformed. There's tons of software for sale on eBay and nothing
> illegal about it.

I doubt it. The ad says: "It is my understanding you can use this version as
a base for upgrading to later versions of Photoshop at a big savings". That
is funny, because it really means that the "pre-owner" might have upgraded
to a newer version and the new owner might do the same (two upgrades on one
initiel offering), not counting those who might in turn buy the Pagemaker
5.0 and also upgrade... Mind you, Adobe might still make a mint on upgrades
(they are not cheap) with people who might not otherwise have bought in...
Marcel

> Dave
> ---
> View my photo gear for sale on eBay:
> http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwebkatz02

January 24, 2005 5:51:20 PM

Unquestionably Confused <puzzled2@ameritech.net> wrote in news:ro%Id.699
$wA5.13@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

> His comments here also seemed somewhat disingenous. "I don't think this
> version was registered (or words to that effect)." It was "registered"
> and became "scorched earth" the day he registered his new version with
> Adobe under their upgrade policy.

Did he edit his listing? I don't see any indication that he upgraded. He says
you can upgrade it, not that he has upgraded it. My Photoshop 6 licence
clearly states that I may transfer my "all my rights to use the software." It
requires "all updates [upgrades] and prior versions" to be included in the
transaction.

Bob
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:23:32 AM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:04:41 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "The Balrog" <balrog@7slotgrille.com> wrote in message

>> > Because Adobe doesn't allow re-selling of PhotoShop on eBay. eBay will
>> > remove it.
>> >

>> Now THAT they can't do. They can't limit the forum for sale. The problem
>is
>> this is a copy that has been upgraded.
>>
>Adobe software for years has been yanked off of eBay. Adobe as owner of the
>trademarks can have eBay cancel sales.

Not legally, at least if the owner certifies that he has
complied with the license terms by deleting all copies and not moving
on to an upgrade. Of course that wouldn't stop Adobe from using their
might to stop it anyway,
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:25:33 AM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:50:50 -0500, Larry
<lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote:

>In article <ct0k4c$lsu$1@svr7.m-online.net>, volker.hetzer@gmx.de says...
>> Why?
>> It's his, he ought to be able to sell it oughtn't he?
>>
>> Lots of Greetings!
>> Volker
>>

>If you read the license that comes with most software, you will notice that
>you DONT own it, you purchased the right to USE it, but it still is OWNED by
>the software company that sold you the right to USE it.

And if you read further, you can sell it if you remove it from
your system and destroy all backup copies.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 8:28:30 PM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:23:32 GMT, kashe@sonic.net wrote:

> Not legally, at least if the owner certifies that he has
>complied with the license terms by deleting all copies and not moving
>on to an upgrade. Of course that wouldn't stop Adobe from using their
>might to stop it anyway,

Adobe (probably**) can't legally stop you selling the physical disks and
manual, because you own them; nor can they _force_ an auction site to
remove such an item (although that might not stop them applying pressure).

But, eBay can (and do) choose to be very conservative in what _they_ allow
to be listed. Their trademark-protection/violation scheme (can't remember
exact name) means many companies can ask eBay to delete items when legally
they couldn't be forced to. It's legal for eBay to _choose_ to do this
because their terms and conditions (which the seller has to agree to) will
allow for it.

However, even though the disks and manual _can_ be (legally) sold (although
eBay won't normally allow it), it doesn't mean that the buyer will be able
to (legally) use the software, because the one thing that Adobe CAN legally
control the reselling of is their license to use the software.

** Even if -- as might be the case here -- the original owner used the copy
being sold as part of an upgrade path, Adobe _probably_ cannot stop the
"old" copies being sold, because the original owner owns the physical media
("Doctrine of first sale"??). However, if they _are_ sold, when the terms
of the upgrade say they must not be, then it might mean he's no longer in
possession of a valid license so _neither_ copy (old or upgrade) could be
legally used.

Regards,
March 25, 2005 11:49:07 PM

>> Now THAT they can't do. They can't limit the forum for sale. The
>> problem is this is a copy that has been upgraded.
>Adobe software for years has been yanked off of eBay. Adobe as owner of the
>trademarks can have eBay cancel sales.

If I understand correctly, you don't buy software, you buy a license
to use it, and the terms of that license can include not re-assigning
to the right to use it.

-Joel

March 26, 2005 12:50:07 PM

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
>>> Now THAT they can't do. They can't limit the forum for sale. The
>>> problem is this is a copy that has been upgraded.
>>Adobe software for years has been yanked off of eBay. Adobe as owner of
>>the
>>trademarks can have eBay cancel sales.
>
> If I understand correctly, you don't buy software, you buy a license
> to use it, and the terms of that license can include not re-assigning
> to the right to use it.
>
> -Joel

It is quite legal to sell the software, as long as it includes the license.
March 26, 2005 3:32:57 PM

"Lew Zeelastik" <nooyawker@nyc.com> wrote in message news:4244bfc0

>> If I understand correctly, you don't buy software, you buy a license
>> to use it, and the terms of that license can include not re-assigning
>> to the right to use it.
>>
>> -Joel
>
> It is quite legal to sell the software, as long as it includes the
> license.

So when was the last time you read Adobe's EULA?
Never by the sound of what you just said.
March 26, 2005 3:32:58 PM

"Douglas" <decipleofeos@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ajvusF6b9ffjU1@individual.net...

> "Lew Zeelastik" <nooyawker@nyc.com> wrote in message news:4244bfc0
> >>
> >> If I understand correctly, you don't buy software, you buy a license
> >> to use it, and the terms of that license can include not re-assigning
> >> to the right to use it.
> >>
> >> -Joel
> >
> > It is quite legal to sell the software, as long as it includes the
> > license.
>
> So when was the last time you read Adobe's EULA?
> Never by the sound of what you just said.

First use and fair use laws in the U.S. give people these explicit
rights. Adobe's EULA means two things. Diddly and squat.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:32:58 PM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:32:57 +1000, in rec.photo.digital , "Douglas"
<decipleofeos@yahoo.com> in <3ajvusF6b9ffjU1@individual.net> wrote:

>"Lew Zeelastik" <nooyawker@nyc.com> wrote in message news:4244bfc0
>>>
>>> If I understand correctly, you don't buy software, you buy a license
>>> to use it, and the terms of that license can include not re-assigning
>>> to the right to use it.
>>>
>>> -Joel
>>
>> It is quite legal to sell the software, as long as it includes the
>> license.
>
>So when was the last time you read Adobe's EULA?
>Never by the sound of what you just said.

Such things may well not be enforceable. No one has pushed the case in
a court and the software companies have been, AFAIK, unsuccessful in
changing contract law to let them get away with their practices. The
problem with retail software EULA is that you don't get to see the
terms of the contract until after you have purchased the item. How can
their be a contract if one party is entirely unaware of the terms of
the agreement? On the face of it it sure seems like there is no
contract and so nothing to enforce. But, as I said, no one has pushed
this in court yet.

--
Matt Silberstein

March 26, 2005 6:03:13 PM

"Matt Silberstein" <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
message news:3fo941hn42sq2k1tfjaa754sp49fqkubdc@4ax.com...

> Such things may well not be enforceable. No one has pushed the case in
> a court and the software companies have been, AFAIK, unsuccessful in
> changing contract law to let them get away with their practices. The
> problem with retail software EULA is that you don't get to see the
> terms of the contract until after you have purchased the item. How can
> their be a contract if one party is entirely unaware of the terms of
> the agreement? On the face of it it sure seems like there is no
> contract and so nothing to enforce. But, as I said, no one has pushed
> this in court yet.
>

> --
> Matt Silberstein

In Australia Microsoft got a taste of what to expect in court when they
tried enforcing the "not for commercial use" clause of their cut price
"Educational" packs of Windows and office upgrade software. Now you can buy
a $120 (AUD) copy of Windows XP professional 'upgrade' over the counter at
office works, no questions asked.

It's on the shelves right beside the $350 version without the "Educational"
sticker. It seems odd that even though the court ruled the clause
unenforceable, MS still left the EULA in place and continue to promote the
software as for education only. There's no law to prevent them doing that,
just one to prevent them enforcing it! Maybe Adobe might discover the same
if (when?) they have a go at someone using their "educational version" sold
at half price in a commercial environment. Methinks they know full well what
they can do and not do and choose to not try the law in certain areas lest
they lose and start an avalanche of recovery suits.
!