XFX Radeon HD 5850 Problem

kuzman

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I have a Radeon HD 5850 card with Asus Cross Hair IV motherboard with AMD 1090T processor.
I have added One DVI port monitor and One VGA (DVI Adapter) and third monitor has native display port.

Problem is when I connect the display port cable to my computer, it gives me hardware failure beeps and system won't boot.

I have to disconnect the display port cable and boot the machine then connect the display port monitor and then all 3 monitor works.

XFX technical support is no help. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

kuzman

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
no, i have tried diffrect combination. On wake up or boot the system gives me hardware failure beeps. But with dvi monitros it will boot and if i plug in the display port monitor after the boot it works.

Thanks,

tehring

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

I had the same problem, took a while to figure out. Both your monitor and your graphics card is sourcing 3,3 volts on pin 20 on the display port. (This is used to power adapters) If the monitor is turned on, and the computer is off, there is current flowing from the monitor into the graphics card and into the computer!!! It wont start and will report an error with beeps!! This is of course a design flaw in the graphics card. The way to solve this is to cut the wire from pin 20 in the displayport cable. Or get a graphics card from a company with more skilled engineers....
Tomas