Wht the effect on graphic card perf.when it is not gettin enough power

hamza_93

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
hi i just bought evga Gtx 560ti but when i played battlefield bad company 2 . the graphics very slightly stuck after some time . however my previous GTS 250 run the same game very smoothly .please tell me whether gtx 560 not getting enough power

MY PSU IS COOLER MASTER 600W extream power and it is about 20 MONTHS OLD here is psu link

http://www.coolermaster.com/produc [...] gory_id=30

core 2 due 3ghz processor and running 9 120mm fans ram 4 gb 500 gb hdd

please tell me the reason because im very much worried just bought new gtx 560ti which is very expensive card.

Solution

Well, I'm not saying your processor is BAD, it's just that the 560 is a modern high-end card... you might find that a dual-core 3.0 GHz CPU...

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Link is broken, but you seem to be referring to this PSU.

Well, let's look at it:

"Efficiency 70% Typically"

So already, you have a PSU that is not even 80+ certified, let alone Bronze/Silver/Gold. Even new, I would personally avoid pairing any high-draw GPU with it. This is not to mention that 20 months is a VERY long time for a PSU, so you've probably got quite a bit of aging going on.

From your description, "graphics get stuck", it sounds like your GPU is being starved of power. You need a new PSU, bud, and quickly.

And the difference in draw between your GTS 250 is something like 80 watts, a very significant increase. Your GTS 250 was probably pushing the PSU to its limits.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Okay, but I need some clarifications first: Did I read the OP right that you have 9 120mm case fans? Is your CPU a Core 2 Duo E8400? Bear in mind, it may also be that your CPU will end up being too weak for a full-power 560, let alone a pair of them. This will also have adverse effects on your performance.

Your current Cooler Master eXtream Power Plus 600W PSU is really only a relabeled 450 Watt unit. I doubt that it is able to provide any more than 26 Amps from its combined +12 Volt rails. It really is inadequate for your current system configuration.

Disregarding the other issues that have been noted from the other posters above, the PSU's that are worth considering from that link are:

Antec CP-850

Antec TP-750 Blue

Corsair 850 Watts CMPSU-850TX

The two Antec models are modular and the Corsair isn't.

The Corsair CMPSU-850TX made by CWT (Channel Well Technologies) is non-modular. It has also been discontinued and is being replaced by the CMPSU-850TXV2 made by Seasonic. Both the CWT and Seasonic made PSUs have an excellent performance rating.

My choice would be the Corsair CMPSU-850TX since it's able to provide 70 Amps on its single +12 Volt rail. The Antec CP-850 provides only 64 Amps on its combined +12 Volt rails.

hamza_93

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
To wannaturnuptheheat
man u r taking my breath out. im really worried because u r saying may be my cpu is not good to handle gtx560ti but my processor is really top of the line model in core 2 duo category like it has 6mb cache and 3ghz speed .
i just cant afford to buy a new core i5 or i7 because i have kept my pocket money to buy DELL xps l501x laptop (which is more than 1000us $) because im going to engineering college this summer

waiting for a good response and please say good abt processor because im dis hearted now LOL.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Well, I'm not saying your processor is BAD, it's just that the 560 is a modern high-end card... you might find that a dual-core 3.0 GHz CPU doesn't take you as far as it used to. That said, I don't think you should see issues with a single 560 setup. But I would certainly get a better CPU if you do end up SLI-ing.

For now, get a new PSU (the Corsair 850W is good, gives you flexibility for 560 SLI), and see if that solves the stuttering problems you're having.

Solution

hamza_93

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
MY RESOLUTION IS 1920X1080
I DIDNT PERFORM THE TEST BECAUSE I DONT KNOW HOW TO PERFORM IT WHICH SOFTWARE I WOULD NEED BECAUSE I HAD NEVER PERFORMED SUCH TEST PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO PERFORM IT

HOWEVER I HAVE GPU-Z AND IT SHOWS FREQUENTLY FLUCTUATING VALUE OF SHADER CLOCK AND GPU CLOCK AND MEMORY WHEN IM NOT PLAYING GAMES

ALSO WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANY SOFTWARE THAT CAN TELL WHETHER MY GRAPHIC CARD IS GETTING ENOUGH POWER OR NOT

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Your graphics card is most likely getting enough power, no software is required to perform Dadiggle's test. Just change your graphics settings to minimum, and write down how many frames-per-second you are getting, then set it to maximum, write down how many frames-per-second you are getting this time, this way we can see if the bottle neck is CPU or GPU.

On that note, frankly, your CPU isn't good.

I can't see the power supply being a problem, it should deliver enough current, and even at 70% the specified system wouldn't go above the ratted power consumption. To those suggesting 650W+ PSUs, you're over-estimating hugely. You can run a single 580 with sandybridge on a reputable 650W, 600W really. A single 560Ti should run on a reputable 550W-600W.

If you really want a new PSU go for a Corsair 650TX, but I don't see any reason for it.

hamza_93

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
sorry the game i was playing is CRYSIS 2 which is i think is beta version and many people r saying the game has a problem beacuse crysis 2 is coming officially on 22nd march
i installed NFS and it is running good
BUT U PEOPLE STILL PREFER THAT I SHOULD GO FOR NEWER POWER SUPPLY AND NEW CPU

Why don't you actually read a test review about the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 Watt Power Supply that you have? You'll soon see proof that you don't have a 600 Watt power supply.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...eme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034

hamza_93

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
to k088
thank u very much now i really have a proof that my psu is really low grade one so which psu u suggest by keeping future in mind
im going for corsair tx850 .
should i go for it

Go for it. It's the best choice.

It has the appropriate number of PCI Express Supplementary power Connectors to handle two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

Here's a link to a test review of the Corsair CMPSU-850TX power supply:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=126

If the price difference is really that narrow then definitely get the CMPSU-950TX.

The CMPSU-850TX has recently been discontinued and has been replaced by the CMPSU-850TXV2. Corsair is just clearing out any existing inventory of the CMPSU-850TX in the distribution channel.