$650 to finish Franken-build, need help

geekstrada

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I have been hobbling along on my current PC for about 5 years now and have upgraded as much as I can without finally replacing my Mobo and CPU. I have $650 to spend, a little less than half of which will come from TigerDirect gift cards ($275). I also prefer to spend my total budget there since it is tax free for me and there is 9.75% sales tax where I live. Also I hope this build will last me ~5 years with upgrades down the road so would like to future proof it as much as possible (Yeah I know that is like asking for a Toyota Corolla to go up in value, but a guy can dream, right?)

All help is appreciated!

The things I need to replace are:
Case
Mobo
CPU

I am leaning towards a 6 core AMD processor, but am flexible. I do want the mobo to be able to handle crossfire for 2 MSI HD 5770 Hawks in x16, e.g. not nerfed down to x8.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $650 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Programming, Surfing the internet, Watching/encoding movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, video card, memory, PSU, CD/DVD drive, HDD

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: TigerDirect

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: None, looking for advice

Overclocking: Yes

Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I prefer no bling... too old for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Owned Parts:
1 x MSI R5770 HAWK Radeon HD 5770 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, DVI, Display Port, HDMI
(Upgrading to 2 in the future)

4 x Patriot PSD34G13332H Signature PC10600 4GB DDR3 Memory Upgrade - 1333MHz, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, CL9 (Yeah I know, it's overkill)

1 x OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply - 700-Watt, Modular, Dual +12V Rails, SATA, 80Plus

Parts I am looking at:
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 Motherboard - Socket AM3, AMD 890FX, ATX, USB, PCIe, RAID, LAN

AMD HDT90ZFBGRBOX Phenom II 1090T Black Edition Six Core Processor - 3.20GHz, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Socket AM3, Processor with Fan

Cooler Master RC-932-KWN3 HAF 932 Black Edition ATX Full Tower - ATX/MicroATX, USB, Red LED Fan, Black Interior

Solution
You live in SoCal too?
caliii.jpg

also the 1090t is just an over clocked 1055t its not worth the extra cash.
The NZXT Phantom is also my favorite case of ever. it has TONS of room with Excellent Cooling perfect for future upgrades. and at $100 it cannot be beat.
the hyper 212 is also the best cooler for the money it could compete with some of the more expensive coolers too.

HeyImGodly

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
You live in SoCal too?
caliii.jpg

also the 1090t is just an over clocked 1055t its not worth the extra cash.
The NZXT Phantom is also my favorite case of ever. it has TONS of room with Excellent Cooling perfect for future upgrades. and at $100 it cannot be beat.
the hyper 212 is also the best cooler for the money it could compete with some of the more expensive coolers too.

Solution

archer7282

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Wow.. some nice deals that you spotted from tigerdirect!!

I would have to think that would be pretty tough to beat. your getting the case, really nice board, great cooler, and a card that you can go ahead and crossfire now all within budget!

Would have to say that your toyota corolla is starting to look pretty hot. :eek:

geekstrada

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

Thanks for the info! You mentioned the 1090 is just an OC'd 1055. Do you think it is worth the extra $50 for this bundle to get the 1090 black edition vs the regular 1055? Is it worth having the multiplier unlocked?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6498152&CatId=4297

Edit // I'm in Tennessee. We have ridiculous sales tax here.

HeyImGodly

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010

nope, almost everybody with a 1005t who overclocks hits 4.1ghz stable,
if you need help then go here

ohh I live in California. We have the same thing with sales tax.

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

go with the 1055t, Iam buying one too. With a decent heatsink, you can do 3.6, even 4 Ghz.