CM Hyper 212+ Adding a second 120mm fan? And other questions.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
I will be getting a Hyper 212+ to get my CPU temperature down (955 BE at stock, intend to OC to maybe 3.6GHz) and reduce the noise (the stock fan is the loudest part in my case right now). I have a HAF 912 case.

I only just found out (watching a Newegg product tour video) that you can install a second 120mm fan. This is very convenient, as I took out the 120mm fan in the front of my case to replace it with a 200mm one, so I now have a spare 120mm fan. I have the following questions:

1.) How does the wiring for this work? There is only one "CPU Fan" socket on my motherboard, so will I need a fan controller to adjust the speeds of one of the fans?

2.) When installed in the case, does the 212 blow up and down or front and back? And would I be able to install the 212 such that it will exhaust upwards (where a 200mm case fan is) or backwards (where a 120mm case fan is)?

3.) I am using a GA-890GPA motherboard with 4 sticks of RAM with heat spreaders (G.Skill Ripjaws). Will these get in the way of the cooler at all?

tecmo34

Administrator
1) I would look to have the second fan plugged into a "SysFan" header, so the motherboard can control, just like the "CPUFan".

2) I would install the fan in a push-pull setup going from the front to the back.

3) It shouldn't be an issue with your memory. You have them installed first, which is the key part of when installing that heat sink so the fan isn't in the way.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Will this cause the mobo to treat it like a CPU fan, or would this require any sort of fan speed adjustments on my part?