Sign in with
Your question

What do u do, when it comes to the Windows Updates?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Microsoft
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 7

What do u do, when it comes to the Windows Updates?

Total: 7 votes (2 blank votes)

• Allow updates to install and restart automatically
  • 40 %
  • Want to be notified before install
  • 20 %
  • Want to be notified before download
  • 20 %
  • Have update checking disabled, but update manually
  • 20 %
  • I never update!
  • 0 %
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2011 5:41:23 AM

Windows 8 Will Be Less Demanding of Update Restarts, as Microsoft will give a 72-hour grace period for the user to save his or her work and restart to install updates.

Anyway, according to Microsoft's statistics of Windows 7 users
89.3% allow updates to install and restart the system automatically.
2.38% want to be notified before install
3.44% want to be notified before download
4.88% have update checking disabled.

So, what about Tom's HW forum regulars, any different than that?

Windows 8 Will Be Less Demanding of Update Restarts

More about : windows updates

a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2011 5:44:21 AM

I have update checking disabled, but I update manually every week once or twice.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 20, 2011 5:47:35 AM

I get the notifications only....generally wait a week and let others ride the bleeding edge.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2011 5:51:17 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I get the notifications only....generally wait a week and let others ride the bleeding edge.

It was just bugging me : )
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2011 5:56:44 AM

Not a bad option^
I used to tell everyone to avoid windows updates all the time-before WIN7. Now its pretty essential to keep the OS updated unless you want incompatibility problems with drivers etc.
I still have a problem with M$ calling their IE browser an "important" update. I also think it bloats their user figures since everyone has it installed by default. Seems dishonest to me.

So anyway that's why I don't let windows auto install for me, since IE is the one piece of software I always have problems with after installing.

Can't say I'm happy with Firefox lately either. Some folks like chrome, I can't stand it. Someone should start a browser for the rest of us. I don't think IE should be an auto update through windows update. I actually miss netscape.
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2011 6:12:22 AM

buzznut said:
Not a bad option^
I used to tell everyone to avoid windows updates all the time-before WIN7. Now its pretty essential to keep the OS updated unless you want incompatibility problems with drivers etc.
I still have a problem with M$ calling their IE browser an "important" update. I also think it bloats their user figures since everyone has it installed by default. Seems dishonest to me.

So anyway that's why I don't let windows auto install for me, since IE is the one piece of software I always have problems with after installing.

Can't say I'm happy with Firefox lately either. Some folks like chrome, I can't stand it. Someone should start a browser for the rest of us. I don't think IE should be an auto update through windows update. I actually miss netscape.

I agree, but drivers can mess things up too.

Chrome for me : ), but I used FF and got fed up in version 3.5 and by 4.0 I was gone with the wind!But I still like it. I didn't like chrome, but got used to it and its great.
!