Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series Troubles

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Hello! :hello: Tried to Google the problem but got no answers to it. I am having trouble with my sound card. First, I purchased the card that came with the I/O drive as well, which I have never used (lost the power cable). I haven't used it in a while, and the card is around 2 years old, and has been used in 2 different rigs. I have had it out sitting on the shelf for probably a year or so. I just recently put it back in my main rig, and it seems to not work. It has worked before, flawlessly.

Problem:
I cannot install any drivers for it because it says it cannot find the hardware, and when I check the device manager, nothing shows up. I uninstalled and disabled (from BIOS) my onboard sound as well. I even refreshed it to see if any hardware changes were made, still nothing. Took it out, back in a few times as well... nothing.

The red light does show when I turn the power on (the black box thing that says X-Fi) so I know the card is on and getting power so technically it should work? Also, I have tried moving it around in my rig to different slots. Also tried hooking it up to the I/O drive and off it again via the ribbon that came with the product.

My system specs:
Win7 Ult x64
Core2 E6750 2.66
680i EVGA MoBo
4GB DDR2 memory
1 8800GTX
2 750gb Barracudas

Any ideas? I hope its not dead, just probably something dumb I overlooked.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Connector Strip looks fine, and cleaned the contacts a little. I just updated my BIOS to the latest version as well. When I had the card in 10 minutes ago just after the fresh BIOS install, I think the card showed up on the device manager. I couldn't automatically update or or use the drivers I downloaded from Creative, and on the Device Manager it read "Unidentified Video Controller". Its gone now, I took the card out to see if anything changed. Going to put it back in and see if anything changes.

Edit: 3 of the pins for the ribbon cable were a little bent but when I plugged in the cable to the I/O (I/O does not work since I don't have the 4 pin power cable). This shouldn't be an issue since the pins are not used unless for the I/O, but I might be wrong.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I just had a thought. Older card in newer system... is it compatable with the OS? Are the slots you are trying it in compatable with the card architecture? Ignore the front box for now (completely disconnected), card should be installable without it.
If different O/S, then google for info on compatability.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Update: Put the card back in the first slot, booted, no go on device manager. Put it in the second slot and booted, now its reading it as an "Unidentified Audio Controller". Went and tried to install the drivers and it worked!!

You are right Trail, I previously was running WinVista Ult x64 but had the same hardware in my rig. I guess BIOS updates are pretty important when upgrading OS. Also, I think cleaning the connectors and stuff helped too. Yeah, I just connected the I/O as a troubleshooting step, knew it was completely irrelevant but I had to try all options.

Thanks a lot!

someones friend

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Hi Guys,

Sorry I am new, Just need some help (sorry if I posted this in the wrong place not sure how to post :p )

I have a Gigabyte z68xp-ud4 board with 2x 290 cards in crossfire. This leaves basically no room to access the pcie ports (2 of which are on there) the first one is totally covered the second I can squeeze a pcie x1 riser cable which I bought off eBay (ie; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-PCI-Express-PCI-E-1X-Slo...) to connect the card outside the case (I know not best idea but any-ways)

Thing is the card works when its plugged directly to the board however when I plug it into the extension riser cable it lights up as usual but no cigar in windows even when I try to install drivers.

Am I doing something wrong?

I might add there is a thin red strip on the side of the cable that seems to be cut or torn halfway down, I may have done this when pulling it though the back of my case. Could this be the cause? or not reinvent.

Thing that throws me is the fact that it lights up so its getting power but not working in windows. FYI Windows 8.1 x64

I might add the sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty - http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/sc_b00654ptt2-01sb1356.jpg