Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer shutting off by itself

Last response: in CPUs
March 19, 2011 9:29:43 PM

Hi guys, this is my first time posting but I've been looking at this site for awhile so I'll try to give everything you need in this first post.

Case- CoolerMaster HAF 922
Motherboard- ASUS sabertooth 55i
CPU- i5-750 not over clocked
CPU fan- Corsair A70
Video card- Geforce 275 GTX
PSU- Corsair CMPSU-750TX

This is my problem. It all started 1-3 weeks ago. I was playing a game calling corporation inc on my browser and my computer shuts off. So I turn it back on and try to play the game again and the same thing happened. So I turn it on once more and it turns off by itself after the desktop finished loading.

So my next step was to look up my problem. I saw that the major problem of this was heat control so I purchased a new CPU fan. That did the trick! But little did I know that it only worked to keep idle temps down. Whenever I play a game the computer turns off by itself.

So then I downloaded prime95 and core temp to check my temps. The computer turns its self off after it passes 62C, this was from just running the CPU torture test so RAM is not the issue here. I have not changed any of the defaults of the computer.

I'm not sure what I can do to fix this problem. I tried reapplying thermal paste in different ways but the problem persists. I tried changing the way the fans blow by changing the position of the CPU heatsink/fan but it still overheats.

I further looked up my problem and downloaded a program called speed fan which monitors the GPU temp, CPU temp, System temp and AUX temps. When I run the torture test on prime95 the CPU temp and the system temp are the same so I know the GPU isn't faulty nor is the PSU faulty.

Another thing I looked at was the BIOS temp. It stayed around 40C while the motherboard temp was at 27C.

One more thing to note is that my temps have NEVER been this high before. I used to idle from 19C- 25C and at load it barely reached 50C. This was with the prior CPU heatsink/fan which was just a stock fan.

So my question is what can I do to solve this or is the CPU heat the problem to begin with?

More about : computer shutting

March 20, 2011 5:09:33 AM

You didn't happen to say if your over clocked or not?? Buy some Zero Therm thermal paste ( I swear by the stuff).
m
l

Best solution

March 20, 2011 1:36:57 PM

bman9135 said:

CPU- i5-750 not over clocked

Ahumpers91, It's not overlocked.

Anyways, is the Corsair fan the replacement or the one that you replaced?

Also, check your BIOS and compare every setting with the stock settings for your CPU. Was the voltage changed? Is anything not as it should be? Something may have screwed with the BIOS, like a virus.
Related resources
March 20, 2011 2:39:28 PM

ActionHobo said:
Ahumpers91, It's not overlocked.

Anyways, is the Corsair fan the replacement or the one that you replaced?

Also, check your BIOS and compare every setting with the stock settings for your CPU. Was the voltage changed? Is anything not as it should be? Something may have screwed with the BIOS, like a virus.

Yes the Corsair fan is the replacement.

I checked my BIOS settings and set them to default. I'm not sure if the CPU voltage was high or not. It's at 1.58.
According to this review, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-overclo.... The default voltage is 1.25.

I changed the voltage to a lower voltage and I'm going to see if that made a difference. So far it has with starting up high temps. It used to be in the 50's. On this start up it's only in the low 30's.
m
l
March 20, 2011 3:27:19 PM

That did the trick! I ran prime95 and the maximum temp was in the low 40's. Wow I never knew a virus could change settings in the BIOS. Thank you.
m
l
March 20, 2011 3:27:29 PM

Best answer selected by bman9135.
m
l
!