Anything wrong with my GPU

I built my first PC back in May, I'm currently using the AMD Athlon X4 635 as my CPU and the ATI 5770 as GPU. I run all my games at 1920x1080p. However I have been noticing slow downs very often when running games at the native resolution and high settings, especially on FallOut NV, F1 2010 (CodeMasters), Bad Company 2 and Just Cause 2. I've looked online for people with setups almost the same as mine, and there performance is far better than mine, is something wrong with my GPU?
10 answers Last reply
More about anything wrong
  1. I think you are expecting a lot more out of your system then it is capable of.. But anyways, give your complete system spec (including RAM, PSU etc.).. Also mention the relative frame rates (use FRAPS) for the games you've mentioned..
  2. HD 5770 can handle games fine on resolutions up to 1920x1080,on that resolution you have to lower AA/AF in some games in order to get a smooth performance.
    Like Emperus mentioned,tell us the FPS you get in those games.
  3. Quote:
    You are using your card to play just cause 2 at full hd res.Even a gtx 470 will struggle to do it.Nothing wrong with your card its your head which is to blame.

+1, your card seems just fine, try lowering settings, 1080 p is no joke on gpu -
  4. Try replacing your PSU.Sometimes performance is hampered and lags are observed if PSUs fail to provide sufficient power and voltage to the gpu.I bet it will do the trick
  5. sorry for being a complete noob, I realised I had AA set at 4x, turned it down to 2x on all games, and some other graphic settings (especially SSAO & AO) and they all seem to run a bit smoother. I don't think it should be my PSU, because, it's 650w (coolermaster) which is more than enough (i think). realised my expectations were too high... which means upgrade time :D
    thanks.
  6. tjcoops said:
    sorry for being a complete noob, I realised I had AA set at 4x, turned it down to 2x on all games, and some other graphic settings (especially SSAO & AO) and they all seem to run a bit smoother. I don't think it should be my PSU, because, it's 650w (coolermaster) which is more than enough (i think). realised my expectations were too high... which means upgrade time :D
    thanks.

I was gonna say its not the GPU, I have a PC at home that runs a single HD 4770 and that runs Just Cause 2 just fine, everything ON and HIGH where applicable. AA is down at X2 and AF is at X4. 32FPS on the Benchmarks if anyone wants to know.

Mactronix :)
  7. just did the dark tower benchmark of just cause 2 on what the game though was optimal settings, average fps = 22.65 :(

I'll turn it all down to medium when i play it next
  8. I've seen a few benchmarks, and crossfiring the 5770 (at 1920x1080) seems worth it, i've costed it all up, and to get another 5770 and a xfire capable mobo, will cost £170.31
    Whereas the 5850 would cost nearly £200.
    Whats your opinion on this?

or i could scrap ATI(or is it AMD) and get http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-135-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1810
  9. 2 5770s perform better than 1 5850(their performance is close to a 5870 or sometimes even higher.
  10. its cheaper and better to crossfire the 5770, than buy a 5850, so what about the NVidia gtx 470?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Games Graphics