Transfering Vista OEM

bioober

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I have no idea how OEM licensing works and looking around yielded no real answers so I wanted to ask here.
I currently have a desktop computer with a OEM Windows Vista, and I want to upgrade nearly everything about it except the hard drive.
Is there any possible way to upgrade the OEM Vista in my harddrive into a Windows 8 OS that I can then transfer to my newly built computer? I ask this because upgrading is cheaper than buying the actual OS alone.

If there is a way, I would like directions on how to do so. Thanks.

bignastyid

Titan
Vista OEM liscensed are tied to the motherboard not the hard drive. Microsoft will usually allow you to transfer to a new one of the old one failed and you can no longer get a identical or similiar replacement. But for just upgrading technically its not allowed.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
yes at the time you activate, you'll get a reply seems to be a problem with your key please contact ms, phone activation. If you have only used this key a couple of times you can use the new key options and use that key. After 5 attempts your are brought back to the first screen. Eventually you have to contact MS and explain that you got a new mother board and need it activated.

This can only be used on one pc at a time.