Sandy Bridge problems on Asus P8P67 Pro

dodgethat

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I've just setup a new Sandy Bridge rig and I've already had 2 BSOD screens in the last 24 hours (not too frequent but enough to be a little concerned).

I checked the event viewer logs in Windows 7 and noticed there are several errors (about 131 in the last 24 hours) and several warnings like as follows:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Internal parity error
Processor ID: 4

The details view of this entry contains further information.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All the above warnings are the same (affecting Processor ID 4)...is this something to be worried about?

dodgethat

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
No overclocking yet.

Here's what I've got:
intel 2500K
EVGA GeForce 460 SE
Crucial 128 GB SSD
Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Blue
Corsair 8GB DDR3 1300 MHZ

This may be just coincidental (probably is) but the BSODS began after I edited the registry so that my program files directory was on my 500GB harddrive and not on my SSD...it seems to run fine since that change, and it was a while afterwards that it BSOD'd.

Use the ssd. do not bother with micromanaging it.
I doubt that your registry hack is the source of your problem, but you might try reloading the os.

As Psycho.. says, check for any bios updates. I think I would go with the bios on the official asus site first, if there is any indication that it will address your problem.

Still guessing it is a defective cpu; it is rare, but does happen.

dodgethat

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011

Ya, I'm somewhat apprehensive of using some third part source for a bios...seems sketchy. It's running 1305 right now.

dodgethat

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I'm just wondering how common these warnings are....probably shouldn't be as common as what I'm getting...

errors.png

Any of you sandy bridge owners can tell me how many errors you're getting? Or how to get rid of these ;) ...maybe it is a bad cpu...

Control panel >> System and Security >> View event logs