Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Budget card for Final Fantasy 14

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2010 10:26:31 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week, asap. $70-120 budget after rebates. Possibly willing to go up to $130 if you make a convincing argument.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Final Fantasy 11 and 14 and web design/basic usage.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia GTS 210 and OCZ 500W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Athlon II x4 2.6 ghz, 3 GB ram and Windows 7 Home 64-bit. Link to full specs. I have one slot for PCI.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com or any other reputable company...

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm more comfortable with Nvidia but I'm open to ATI.

OVERCLOCKING: Don't know anything about OCing, but if it is needed and not complicated I might consider it...

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I bought a Nvidia GTS 250 but I couldn't get it to work. After Windows auto-installed the driver it prompted me for a restart. I restarted and came to the desktop background and just hung there with the fan going at 100%. I need to know for sure what card I can put in this system. By the way, I don't think I can fit a card longer than 8 inches in my case.

I was looking at the GTS 250, 450 and the Raedon 5770, but I am open to suggestions and really just want something that will play FF14 at normal/high settings. I can't upgrade anything else at the moment. Thanks for the help.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 10:49:49 AM

Does HD5750 come into your budget? But the resolution you have the HD5770 would do the job nicely. Comes at around $140.
October 27, 2010 11:17:27 AM

I think I could manage either of those cards with my budget. The nice thing is that they look much shorter than the GTS 250 I got, but it would be nice if I could find the dimensions somewhere.

I'm kind of confused about the connections these ATI cards have though. They both have 1 x HDMI 1 x DisplayPort and 2 x DVI. I was using both the D-SUB and DVI port on the GTS 250 for my monitor. These don't have a D-SUB listed, is DisplayPort the same thing? Here's two that look decent to me:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, the way the two DVI are aligned on these cards looks like I'll need to punch out another space on the back of my computer. Not sure if they I can do that on this case. Sorry, I am really a newbie, lol.
Score
Related resources
October 27, 2010 2:29:21 PM

I think the AMD drivers are still working better then the Nvidia ones for FFXIV, but I know Nvidia made some improvements recently in their drivers. This might help your decision too.

OC'ing is definitely something you should consider since it's an MMO and CPU will help a lot. Should be pretty easy to OC your system, and there's lots of help out there.
Score
November 7, 2010 5:32:02 PM

Best answer selected by Shizoku.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2010 6:02:45 PM

Best answer selected by Shizoku.

Score
!