Sign in with
Your question

2 x HIS Radeon 5870 (Crossfire Question)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2010 10:57:04 AM

Hello Guys,

I am planning to buy the second HIS Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5. As I cannot get the performance I was expecting from single GPU on Flight Simulator X.

My Current System is;

i5 760 2.80GHz @ 4.00GHz
8 GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz Crossfire Ram.
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
750W Corsair PSU.
HIS Radeon 5870 iCooler V.

What do you say for 2x HIS Radeon 5870? - Will it work smoothly and can I run Flight Simulator X on the Highest Settings?

Thanks..
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 11:13:44 AM

Flight Sim X actually requires a beefy processor to run well, so you may not see that much of an increase by adding another GPU.

Though, I don't know how much higher you can get than a quad core i5 at 4GHz. :/ 

What resolution do you play at? Are you running Eyefinity? If so, and you're using high-res screens, it may benefit you to get another GPU.
October 27, 2010 11:34:10 AM

I use an additional screen to display the GPS and some extra displays (outside look of plane). I am running it at 1920 x .... - I would like to build to Eyefinity soon but quite confused about it. I don't know what kind of additional device i'll need.
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 3:07:16 PM

You just need more monitors, preferably one that supports Displayport. Just plug them in and tell CCC that you want to create a display group.

I wouldn't think that an additional screen with that stuff on it would be all the more stressful, but you should disable it and see if your performance changes. If it does, then you need more GPU, if it doesn't, then it may still be CPU bound (I know, hard to believe).
!