Sign in with
Your question

New CPU. Pc wont boot.. Please help!!!

Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2011 3:21:23 AM

Hi. I upgrade my intel celeron CPU with an intel penguin duo core e6700 socket 775. After I installed the new CPU, it doesnt boot. Nothing shows on the monitor and everything powers up. I tried putting one ram at a time. Also tried a bigger power supply and nothing. Everything powers up but I don't hear any beep and nothing shows. I installed the old processor back and it booted fine. I upgraded the bios and installed the new CPU again, but nothing shows on the monitor. Can any one please help!!!!!

Also after I updated the bios with my old CPU, the fan speed is too high and stays that way. Before it stated fast but after the first beep it gets quiet. Now i don't even hear the beep but the pc works fine.

More about : cpu wont boot

a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 3:27:06 AM

Check online to see if your motherboard supports the cpu. If it does then send the cpu back to the store for another one or send it to the company for a rma
m
l
March 20, 2011 3:33:51 AM

I had already checked and it is compatible. At first a bought one that wasn't compatible and I got this one now becasuse I research and it is compatible. Don't know what else to do.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 3:35:31 AM

You have a dead cpu or did you check if the fan is plugged in to the motherboard and the cpu was seated properly?
m
l
March 20, 2011 3:58:08 AM

But I have tried two new CPU and the same thing. So why would it be dead. Also I have it seated properly and the fan is connected to the board properly. Any idea of what else can it be?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 4:06:39 AM

Try taking out the cmos battery and reset the bios to the defaults wehn the computer is not pluged into the wall.
m
l
March 20, 2011 4:44:46 AM

Ok. I took the battery out for 15 minutes put it back in ant nothing. Also tried clearing the bios by switching from pin 1-2 to pin 2-3 and then back to 1-2 and still the same.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 4:49:24 AM

Try replaceing the motherboard. If that doesn't help I ran out of ideas. Good luck with your problem
m
l
March 20, 2011 5:02:14 AM

Does your Power Supply have enough juice for the new CPU?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 3:10:55 PM

eperez10 said:
I had already checked and it is compatible. At first a bought one that wasn't compatible and I got this one now becasuse I research and it is compatible. Don't know what else to do.
I believe your problem is that there are TWO E6700's. The old one is the Core 2 Duo E6700, the new one is the Pentium E6700. The new one uses a smaller die process and requires additional voltage regulator capabilities.

So, chances are you looked up the specs and found out that it's E6700 compatible (great) but didn't notice that the E6700 on the list is not the E6700 that you own.

I think you should sue Intel over this. Really, I've been through this with a few guys already and I'm tired of sellers taking it in the nose over Intel's mistake.
m
l
March 20, 2011 4:24:03 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I did realized that late night yesterday. The one I have is a Intel Pentium dual core 3.2 and the one that's compatible is the Intel 2 duo 2.4. And they are both E6700. Now I'm stuck with two different processors and the seller wont refund me the money because its been tested already. But again thank you so much for your help.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 4:46:35 PM

eperez10 said:
Thanks so much for your help. I did realized that late night yesterday. The one I have is a Intel Pentium dual core 3.2 and the one that's compatible is the Intel 2 duo 2.4. And they are both E6700. Now I'm stuck with two different processors and the seller wont refund me the money because its been tested already. But again thank you so much for your help.
I don't blame the seller for not wanting to essentially trade a new CPU for a used one. I wish more sellers would do that, rather than jack the rest of their customers to make up the losses...

Your best option now is to eBay the CPU as "new, open box" and then, if you want a compatible upgrade, buy the upgrade CPU from eBay as well.
m
l
March 20, 2011 6:01:42 PM

Damn that sucks. Intel really should be more careful with their product names...
m
l
!