$100 in BestBuy giftcard == ?

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
My brother gave me $100 in BestBuy gift cards, and I don't do much BestBuy shopping for anything, considering Newegg or Amazon are far superior in price, quality and selection. So I'm considering another upgrade using that $100 + my own money if necessary.

My system:
Antec 902 case
2 DVD drives
1 Bluray drives (adding to 3 DVD drives)
P55A-UD3 mobo
4 GB Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 RAM
Tuniq 120 Tower Extreme CPU fan
i5-750 processor
Radeon 5850 graphics card
1TB F3 Spinpoint harddrive
Wireless card

Peripherals:
2 GB in external harddrives
Saitek Eclipse 3 keyboard
Razer Deathadder mouse
Asus VH223H monitor
Razer Megalodon headphones
900W CyberPower UPS

Now my system is pretty well set, but I've been considering buying more of the same RAM which is considerably more expensive from BestBuy. Since I have that $100 in gift cards should I blow it on the RAM or upgrade another part of my system? I was considering more heavily whether I should get an I7-950 processor, another 1TB hardrive (Western Caviar Black), perhaps a new mobo that would let me xfire, or maybe even something else. What do you guys suggest my next upgrade be, since I have $100 off?

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

It won't let me edit my message, but I realized I forgot to include my PSU. I have a Corsair 750W PSU

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I got a $50 gift card for BB, but just built a new system and already have the hardware I need. It looks like you don't need hardware too. There would be no point to adding more RAM, since 4GB is plenty for most things. You can't get an 17-950 without getting a new X58 motherboard and upgrading to 6GB RAM, which would be way more than $100.

One thing I can think of for you is a backup program, like Acronis True Image (if you don't have a backup strategy already). Do you need/have a good printer?

I am planning to use my $50 to buy a new PC game.

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

Awww, I didn't know that. But I bought my mobo without knowing that it basically couldn't Xfire, and I was unhappy with that so I wanted to upgrade it, but from what I heard, Windows 7 ties itself to the mobo, so I'd have to replace that too... I want to upgrade my mobo/processor, but don't think Microsoft deserves my money twice for something that I legitimately paid for the first time around. And more RAM is still something that I'm more than likely going to get just because I want to be able to say that my computer is 2 steps away from turning into Optimus Prime and thusly can do everything.

I don't think I need that program, but thanks for the suggestion, and I have a printer, but good is hardly the word for it. It's old, but it still works, and I don't care about my printer the way I care about my computer :).

I honestly think I have the PC games that I need for a while considering so many companies have stopped releasing games for PC unless the games suck.

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Microsoft will be understanding if you call and explain the situation to them, I don't think they'll make you buy windows 7 again.

Just call them up and ask them

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

Alright, I'm sure I'll have to deal with that when the new Intel SSDs come out. I ended up ordering a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black harddrive.