Sign in with
Your question

1366 VD Dual 771 - Benchmarks

Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2011 4:23:53 AM

I have a friend who is quite knowledgeable about servers. He has a dual 771 Dell Server running two quadcore neons at 2.5Ghz (i believe,) And some FB DIMMS. I have an i7-950 overclocked to 4Ghz (water cooled) on a ASUS P6T Deluxe (original with onboards SAS) 12GB 1600Mhz Patriot RAM. He really believes that he has a superior system to mine Based on the cost of our systems. Thus we made a bet. We are gonna run 15 benchmarks to put our arguement to rest. The winner keeps the losers machine. So this thread is for two things. Please Fire off about who you think will be the Victor (Me of coarse) and what operating systems do you Recommend we running our benchmarks on and what benchmarks do you recommend. I want a wide range of benchmarks synthetics and real life applications. After I read all your opinions and advise I will post the OS and the benchmarks to be ran. Also if you could provide links to download some of these benchmarks I would really appreciate it.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 4:35:26 AM

Enjoy your new PC :) 
m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2011 4:59:56 AM

Thank you so much but it's not new. I've had it like since i7s came out... I just upgraded the CPU like 2months ago. Also... in your opinion which is a better machine... and why?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 5:02:33 AM

The sever will only beat you in few benchmark
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 7:41:57 PM

I think all the comments of "enjoy your new machine" meant "enjoy getting his when you beat him" :p 
m
l
March 20, 2011 7:44:31 PM

OH ok... LOL... That makes sense
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2011 12:55:44 AM

Theres no compitition between a dekstop machine vs a sever machine. The desktop machine will beat the sever in most benchmark testing, becuase it doesn't supprot multi machines running off the sever. If you want a true test hook up 5 computers to sever/computer and run them with different benchmarks at the same time.
m
l
March 24, 2011 3:48:42 AM

ace700 said:
Theres no compitition between a dekstop machine vs a sever machine. The desktop machine will beat the sever in most benchmark testing, becuase it doesn't supprot multi machines running off the sever. If you want a true test hook up 5 computers to sever/computer and run them with different benchmarks at the same time.

I don't understand. Do you mean to run 5 machines virtually on the server machine and then run benchmarks on the virtual machines?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2011 3:25:40 PM

having server operating system as your personal home computer operating system or having a server computer as your home personal computer dont have any advantage, yes he can use more hardware in that computer, he can monitor everything in his home network like other computers, devices, but if its just him home alone, surfing the web, checking emails, editing photos, playing games doing staff like an average computer normally does, theres no advantage. its just a storage, with more hardwares, so whose going to win in applications? well its the numbers that will dictate who will win, who has more cores, faster clockspeed more ram. his processor is 2.5ghz quadcore,(running 2 quadcore processor has no effect in applications), and you have 4.0ghz quadcore and 12gb ram so you will win without a doubt plus the chipsets for servers usually have more error checking, and run slower to make sure there aren't errors. a server only advantage when using it as a personal computer is it will last longer than a desktop, its built for stability than performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2011 4:07:53 PM

oby20 said:
his processor is 2.5ghz quadcore (running 2 quadcore processor has no effect in applications), and you have 4.0ghz quadcore and 12gb ram so you will win without a doubt

Heavily-threaded benchmarks and applications will like to disagree with you.

8 virtual threads at 4GHz vs 8 real threads at 2.5GHz will be interesting. The i7 will still win easily because of the newer, more efficient architecture, but it'll be interesting to see how well (I think) the socket 771 will still perform.
m
l
!