Sign in with
Your question
Closed

A strange problem whilst downloading through ANY browser

Last response: in Windows 7
November 20, 2011 8:03:59 AM

Hello,
I recently got a new PC. Whenever I try to download a file through ANY browser, there is no "confirmation box" (to be more specific, the popup box that shows asking what to do with the file before you begin to download it). The confirmation box only shows up once the file has fully downloaded. This is kinda frustrating as I'd like to see details whilst downloading files. I have tried Chrome, Firefox, Opera and even IE, all of these yield the same results. I've tried disabling Microsoft Security Essentials to see if that was interfering with downloading, but that was to no avail. Please help! Much appreciated.

My specs:
Intel Core i7-2600k
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 1155 socket
Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
8GB of RAM
EDIT: Forgot to mention I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

If there's anything else that I need to post, please do tell me.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel.
November 20, 2011 8:15:56 AM

The 'popup' is at the bottom of the screen. It says Run or Save. If you use Save it will show d/l progress.
Score
November 20, 2011 8:21:56 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
The 'popup' is at the bottom of the screen. It says Run or Save. If you use Save it will show d/l progress.

As I stated that popup shows up ONLY once the file has actually downloaded, what I'm trying to achieve is for the popup to show before asking what to do with the file, like what it normally does.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2011 8:33:25 AM

zzyxxy said:
As I stated that popup shows up ONLY once the file has actually downloaded, what I'm trying to achieve is for the popup to show before asking what to do with the file, like what it normally does.

Hi there, try this -- check that tick.
Score
November 20, 2011 8:40:52 AM

I'm not familiar w/ Chrome but I would think there is a setting that would allow you to see d/l progress.
Score
November 20, 2011 9:47:20 AM

Well for ex in FF go to Tools>Options>General(tab)>Always ask me where to save files. There's always a way to show download window no matter the browser.
Score
November 21, 2011 1:17:28 AM

Thanks for the help but unfortunately it still hasnt resolved my issue.
What I mean is when I download something, it simply just sits there idling, it seems like I am loading a page. Here's some screenshots of what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/0xBDz.jpg (Too big to include IMG tags)
I download a file, and it seems to be hanging as if a page is loading. I believe the file is actually downloading, but what should appear is the confirmation box before the download happens.

Once the file has finished downloading, then the confirmation box appears, when I choose where to save the file it states that the download has finished.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 1:24:19 AM

zzyxxy said:
Thanks for the help but unfortunately it still hasnt resolved my issue.
What I mean is when I download something, it simply just sits there idling, it seems like I am loading a page. Here's some screenshots of what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/0xBDz.jpg (Too big to include IMG tags)
I download a file, and it seems to be hanging as if a page is loading. I believe the file is actually downloading, but what should appear is the confirmation box before the download happens.

http://i.imgur.com/BkLat.jpg
Once the file has finished downloading, then the confirmation box appears, when I choose where to save the file it states that the download has finished.

OK, but did try this?

Score
November 21, 2011 1:29:18 AM

nikorr said:
OK, but did try this?

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5157/20111120033131.png

Yes I have, but as I stated the confirmation box only pops up once the file has fully downloaded 100%.

I'm not sure if I am making myself clear. For example... I download a 1 GB file, the page will literally just seem like it is loading another page (as I've shown with the first screenshot), and then the confirmation box appears once the download has fully completed. It takes about 10 minutes for me to download a 1GB file, so the browser will sit there for about 10 minutes, giving the illusion it is loading a webpage, whereas the file is actually downloading until the file has fully completed downloading and THEN the confirmation box appears.

What I want is for the confirmation box to appear asking where to download the file before the download actually takes place, like what it is meant to do.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 1:39:08 AM

in firefox under option in general tab check the box show dowloads under this there is another box that you could chose where to regiter the dowload and put in dowloads or another file that you made
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 1:39:57 AM

OK, are u using any download managers? Since it was happening on the FF too.
Score
November 21, 2011 1:53:36 AM

nikorr said:
OK, are u using any download managers? Since it was happening on the FF too.

I tried to download with DownThemAll but that doesn't seem to respond at all when I download through that.
Score
November 21, 2011 1:58:03 AM

nikorr said:
That's the problem.

Get rid off it!

Remove every part of a program completely. And than install again.
U can use Your Uninstaller! or Revo Uninstaller. The Windows uninstaller will not remove everything.
http://www.ursoftware.com/product/uninstaller/ http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_do...

Just to clarify, you want me to uninstall Firefox and reinstall without DownThemAll? I'll try it later on tonight when I have access to my PC.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 1:59:08 AM

zzyxxy said:
Just to clarify, you want me to uninstall Firefox and reinstall without DownThemAll? I'll try it later on tonight when I have access to my PC.

Is it just an extension or both?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 2:02:49 AM

that's a plug in for firefox
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 2:04:57 AM

scout_03 said:
that's a plug in for firefox

It is also a program : )
Score
November 21, 2011 2:06:12 AM

nikorr said:
It is also a program : )

I have the extension version. Anyways I'll give your advice a try when I get home tonight and give you a reply, thanks for your help!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 2:09:57 AM

OK, make sure that u have a back up of your fav's.
Score
November 21, 2011 9:24:18 AM

nikorr said:
OK, make sure that u have a back up of your fav's.

Hm, tried that and the same thing happens.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 9:27:07 AM

Can u post a list of your installed programs?
Score
November 21, 2011 9:38:41 AM

nikorr said:
Can u post a list of your installed programs?

Adobe Flash Player 11
Application Profiles (AMD)
Battlefield 3
Battlelog Web Plugins
ESN Sonar
Foxit Reader 5.1
FRAPS
GameSpy Comrade
Google Chrome
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
Grand Theft Auto IV
Intel Control Center
Intel Management Engine Components
Intel Processor Graphics
Java(TM) 6 Update 29
Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE
Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE Redistributable
Microsoft Silverlight
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (listed twice strangely)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable - x86 10.0.40219
Mozilla Firefox 8.0 (x86 en-US)
Mozilla Thunderbird (8.0)
ON_OFF Charge B11.0110.1
Opera 11.52
Origin
Punkbuster Services
Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
Revo Uninstaller 1.93
Rocketdock 1.3.4
Steam
VLC media player 1.1.11
Yahoo! Messenger
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 9:58:02 AM

Can u make a screenshot of this?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 10:13:58 AM

What version are u using?
Score
November 21, 2011 10:15:48 AM

nikorr said:
What version are u using?

I am running 15.0.874.121 m.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 10:18:22 AM

Can u kill the firewall and AV and prevent them from starting again on next start up, restart and see if anything changes?

It must be something else than the browsers Chrome, Firefox, Opera and even IE, since all of them have the same issue.

Score
November 21, 2011 10:36:12 AM

nikorr said:
Can u kill the firewall and AV and prevent them from starting again on next start up, restart and see if anything changes?

It must be something else than the browsers Chrome, Firefox, Opera and even IE, since all of them have the same issue.

Just killed Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. Still the same problem.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 10:38:50 AM

zzyxxy said:
Just killed Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. Still the same problem.

And restarted, and still the same, right?
Score
November 21, 2011 10:41:12 AM

nikorr said:
And restarted, and still the same, right?

Oops, yeah. Forgot to mentioned I restarted as well :x
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 10:44:56 AM

It did not started, when u test that, right? -- have to know : )

The Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.
Score
November 21, 2011 10:46:49 AM

nikorr said:
It did not started, when u test that, right? -- have to know : )

Yeah it only shows the box after the file fully downloads like what its been doing this whole time - sorry I'm not keeping up with you, I'm a bit tired right now :) 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 10:48:53 AM

zzyxxy said:
Yeah it only shows the box after the file fully downloads like what its been doing this whole time - sorry I'm not keeping up with you, I'm a bit tired right now :) 

Sorry, I meant the

It did not started, the Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials, when u test that, right?
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 10:50:48 AM

I just never have seen that issue before. Do u remember how it started?

After fresh Windows install? Or after a program install?
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 10:51:31 AM

zzyxxy said:

I have to go to sleep soon too : )
Score
November 21, 2011 10:53:31 AM

nikorr said:
I just never have seen that issue before. Do u remember how it started?

After fresh Windows install? Or after a program install?

I'll try and backtrack what I installed prior to this happening tomorrow - if I'm out of luck I'll probably have to do a fresh Windows install. Anyways thanks for your help, I'll post updates tomorrow :) 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 10:57:24 AM

zzyxxy said:
I'll try and backtrack what I installed prior to this happening tomorrow - if I'm out of luck I'll probably have to do a fresh Windows install. Anyways thanks for your help, I'll post updates tomorrow :) 

Sure thing, remember, u can try the system restore too.
Score
a c 228 $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 11:03:15 AM

nikorr said:
That's the problem.

Get rid off it!

Remove every part of a program completely. And than install again.
U can use Your Uninstaller! or Revo Uninstaller. The Windows uninstaller will not remove everything.
http://www.ursoftware.com/product/uninstaller/ http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_do...

I use the downloadthemall plugin in FF and have no problems with it at all. Also, if it were this plugin, it can't effect IE or Chrome. Something else is wrong. Either he has a 3rd part download manager installed or perhaps some kind of malware has infected his browsers.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2011 11:12:55 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
I use the downloadthemall plugin in FF and have no problems with it at all. Also, if it were this plugin, it can't effect IE or Chrome. Something else is wrong. Either he has a 3rd part download manager installed or perhaps some kind of malware has infected his browsers.

Thanx Hawkeye22, I don't think it is related to the browsers also, it could be infected.
I also used the downloadthemall, but the program was on XP machine and had no problems.
Score
November 27, 2011 2:04:53 AM

Best answer selected by zzyxxy.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2011 2:28:05 AM

Thanks for the vote : )
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2011 2:28:23 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score