Compatibility questions

Hey all,
It's my first question here & I'm a novice at building, so please be gentle. My question is this: Will an MSI P7N SLI Platinum mobo work in a SLI configuration with the rest of my components listed below or will there be any compatibility issues? Here is my current setup:

Asus P5K Deluxe mobo
Intel Q9400 C2Q cpu
4gb Corsair XMS2 memory 2gbx2 (CM2X2048-8500C5)
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX psu
(1) EVGA GTX460 768mb

I recently couldn't pass up a deal on a 2nd identical 460 that a friend had, but my Asus mobo doesn't support SLI. However I have another buddy that has the MSI P7N SLI mobo & I was curious if it would be compatible with the rest of my components to allow me to run both 460's in SLI?
If not then I will wait til sometime after the new year & upgrade cpu, mobo & memory so that I can run SLI, I'm just not going to spend big bucks on a SLI mobo for dated components. But the price is right on the MSI mobo, so if it would work I'd like to pick it up & use this 2nd 460 as well, if it will even work for these newer cards. Please advise. :)
2 answers Last reply
More about compatibility questions
  1. Yes it would work. But are you looking at changing the motherboard only?
  2. At the moment yes, only because the mobo would be cheap. I plan on upgrading cpu, mobo & memory after the New Year or early spring. However after looking at this mobo more closely, I question whether it is a MSI retail product or a mobo that came in a pre-built pc. I question it because it only has 2 pci express slots as opposed to the 3 that I see in the pic from Newegg & a couple of other places.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia SLI Compatibility Graphics