Need help in Asus Bios and SSD configuration!!!!

rmarshall292

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
My specs are

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
I7 2600k Processor
Windows 7
Crucial M4 256 SSD

These pictures are of my current BIOS. The first picture are my onboard devices. What I want to know is which ones I can safely turn off that will lead to a faster boot time, or if there are some that I do not need at all turned on.

The second one is my boot screen
For some reason if I select my M4 SSD as my primary boot option windows will not start up, it will just go to a black screen with an underscore blinking in the top left. I have to select Windows boot manager for windows to boot up properly. I do not know if this is ok or not ok or if it can be fixed. I also noticed that I believe my SSD drive is plugged into the Intel Z68 SATA 6.0 GB/S connectors and not the Marvell SATA 6.0 GB connectors. What is the difference between the two? ive done alot of reading and cannot find which one is best for the SSD to be plugged in to. If you could help me on these issues that would be fantastic! thanks guys.

1) I think you are doing the proper thing to install the SSD on one of the Intel 6gb ports.
I do not know why it does not boot.

2) I would install the other drives also on the Intel sata ports.

3) If you do not use the marvell extra 6gb ports, why not disable them and avoid the time to initialize them. If you do not have the marvell drivers installed, it might even be the cause of your boot problems.

4) If you do not have a floppy installed, you can disable that adapter too.

rmarshall292

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
i dont know why it has to do windows boot either, it looks the same as if i had the m4 as the primary boot, it doesnt ask me anything on loadup. i do have all the drivers installed including the marvells. and the ssd is the only drive i have so that eliminates having to put any others on those sata ports. would the issue be that the ssd could not be connected to the number 1 port on the sata ports or something? idk : \

rmarshall292

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
also whats your reasoning behind installing on the 6gb ports? the only thing the manual said i believe that the marvell was for storage devices only, but the intel ports could be set up for a RAID. or something like that

Are there any bios updates to the motherboard or the ssd that might help?

You could try port 0.

It might be worth a trip to the crucial forums or crucial support.

On a hunch, try disabling the marvell controller that you don't need.

rmarshall292

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
update is latest on mobo i believe, firmware is latest on the ssd for sure. and where is the port 0 to be exact? right now if your looking at a map of the mobo it is in the left red sata connectors which are the intel ones on the bottom, it could only go to the top one, and to the right are the marvell connectors

rmarshall292

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
one of the older sata ports meaning the 3gb ones? and thats good to know if its just the asus mobo where i cant do anything about it. i spent about 5 hours last night trying to figure it out lol. but either way it boots up totally fine with the boot manager as primary anyway, im just picky. but i will try that