Upgrade of Existing Cad Workstation

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 26, 2010 7:08:08 PM

:bounce: 
Current System is described below:

Mo Bo: Nvidia nForce 780i SLA 3xPCIe 16x2.0 DDR2 800 to 1200-2x1/Gb Ethernet-6xSATA 3Gb-RAID 0/1/5-Firewire 1394-8CH Digital Audio
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz 1333FSB 1096 KB L2 Cache Dual Core VT EM64T
Memory: 4096MB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 4x1024 Dual Rank Interweave
Video: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB DDR# PCIe 2.0
Fan: 850W Cooler Master
Boot Drive: Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM SATAII 300MB/Sec 16MB Cache 9ms
Drive 2: Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM SATAII 300MB/Sec 16MB Cache 11ms
CD: LiteOn Dual LayerL DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW
O. S.: Windows XP Professional

I have a couple of goals. One to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit to take advantage of more RAM since my system acknowledges only 2.75 GB out of 4 GB installed. Two, replace my boot drive with a 256GB SSD drive to improve performance and maintain my 320 and 500 GB drives for data. Three, increase ram to 8GB which is the max my Mo Bo will accept. Four, replace my video card with a Quadro 2000 or 4000 since the one I now have is better suited for gaming. And finally, replace my CPU with an Intel Core 2 quad QX 9650 3.0 Ghz CPU which, again is the max upgrade my MoBo will accept.

Another factor for the upgrade is to avoid the "out of Ram" alerts that I continually get when using Photoshop (CS4) with large files. Adobe is not very helpful in advising me on the matter.

I believe this upgrade will provide some reasonable performance boost until I can afford a more robust new build. My current PC is an Xi build but a new one calcs out at $4,500 with current technology.

However, I wonder if this rebuild is money poorly spent since the EVGA Mo Bo limits my options for ram, CPU, FSB speed, etc.

Any guidance or second opinion on this upgrade would be appreciated. I am comfortable with the mechanics of this upgrade but will need guidance on the final set up i.e. updating the BIOS, etc.

More about : upgrade existing cad workstation

Best solution

December 26, 2010 8:21:52 PM

Would it not be better to start a new with an upgradeable platform instead of spending money on a dead end? Many parts can be reused and others offloaded to offset some of the costs!
December 26, 2010 8:46:15 PM

Agreed. Definitely build a new.
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2010 10:20:24 PM

rolli59 said:
Would it not be better to start a new with an upgradeable platform instead of spending money on a dead end? Many parts can be reused and others offloaded to offset some of the costs!

If I understand your response, I should start with a new Mo Bo and CPU and then proceed with the Win 7 64 bit, SSD boot drive, new video card and ram I described initially. I could use my same case and power supply.

Or, I just keep what I have as a backup and start fresh. A completely new build is something I haven't done before. I've added ram, video cards and hard drives but not an entirely new system i.e Mo Bo. The Bios and initial settings at the original boot are my major concern.

Selecting components with the help of a zillion experienced enthusiasts on the Forum would be helpful, its the fine tuning of settings and components to have a stable and useable workstation that I need to confirm.

I guess I will take a shot at a component selection and see if it meets the Forum's member standards.

Thanks for your comments.
m
l
January 4, 2011 11:31:13 PM

Best answer selected by NHgranite.
m
l
!