HTPC Ion processor vs AMD sempron or Athlon II X2

jman10

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I am looking to build a cost effective HTPC that runs mostly XBMC, but will also stream Netflix and other websites.

I already built an ion-based pc and it runs HD content no problem (720p .mkv files), but it is not that fast opening programs/multitasking since its an ION.

Here are AMD processors I was thinking of using instead:

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz

I would like to stick with the onboard graphics card which is a Radeon HD 4250

I essentially need smooth playback of HD movie files firstly. How does an ION330 compare in media playback with the AMD processors using an integrated graphics card.

Also, if I wanted to put in a Bluray player could any of these handle that smoothly?

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
The Dual core Regor is without a doubt a better option here.

The HD4250 is a lot better performer than the ION. Logically, if the IGP can handle pre-2005 games with mid to high settings, then surely it will play HD movies perfectly. Although I've heard that they still lag in some Bluray playback. For the safe side, get an HTPC GPU such as the passively cooled HD5450 for reassurance.

Hope this helps!

jman10

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, I'm thinking the Regor and trying to go without the hd5450 and upgrading if need be.

If anyone has experience with any of these builds and playing blurays straight from the disk, please let me know. :)