Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I upgrade my CPU or Graphics Card

Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2011 1:53:54 PM

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T9900 @ 3.06GHz
GPU: GeForce GT 130M 600/500/1500 (core/memory/shader)

I'm wondering, if I was aiming to have better game performance, which area should I overclock? It seems like these days I can barely run some games on minimum graphics. Also, how much should I overclock to get a noticable performance?
a c 793 à CPUs
a c 139 K Overclocking
a c 1318 U Graphics card
March 20, 2011 1:57:03 PM

Being a laptop upgrades are limited. The CPU is fine but the GPU is not so good, very few laptops allow GPU upgrades. With your hardware I do not think overclock will help!
If the manufacturer of your laptop had more options on a GPU in your model then you stand a chance to upgrade but you probably would have to buy from them.
March 20, 2011 2:14:29 PM

Can you please clarify why overclocking wouldn't nessassarily help? I'm currently still undergoing highschool, and this laptop was years and years of saving, so buying better components is definetly out the window. It has 8GB RAM if this is helpful information to anyone.

And just out of curiosity, how did you know it was a laptop? I don't think I mentioned that in my description :D 
Related resources
March 20, 2011 2:23:22 PM

draiklord said:
I'm currently still undergoing highschool

"Undergoing". You must really hate that place, huh? lol

Also, the 'M' in 130M means mobile, thus a laptop.

Overclocking your GPU might help, but the CPU should be fine as it is. Play around with the clock settings on the GPU until you get it as fast as you can without having too high of temps, and without getting a BSOD. This could take a few hours to find the right setting for it.

It won't be much of an improvement, but it would help.
March 20, 2011 2:33:20 PM

What? No no! I love highschool :D  But hm, perhaps "attending" would've been better word usage :D 

With overclocking GPU, usually what number should I aim for? Also, do I have to overclock everything? I've noticed that overclocking shader gives a bit more noticable performance boost than memory or core, so should I only overclock shader? Also, on average, whats usually the "limit"? (like 250 above the original shader? ect)

I'm also seeing some really high temperature increases for my CPU, especially when I start a game, so whats normally a good temperature to have for the CPU?
March 20, 2011 4:43:05 PM

It all depends on the actual hardware, some can take more overclocking than others, and since this is a laptop, it would be a good guess to say that it can't take much.

As for CPU temp, I would say 60-63 is about the limit you should allow. Anything above would start to harm it.

a c 793 à CPUs
a c 139 K Overclocking
a c 1318 U Graphics card
March 20, 2011 4:50:42 PM

You can go in on this page and see what you can expect in some games http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-G...
My statement before about overclock not helping is based on that the architecture of the card is the limiting factor even if you manage to get 10% overclock on all settings then 10% off slow is not much in fps. (not much difference between 10fps or 11fps)

Best solution

March 20, 2011 5:41:36 PM

the T9900 is a pretty beefy dual core so it should be fine. Your biggest, (err.. smallest?) bottleneck would be your gpu in this case.
If you could post a screenshot of GPU-Z so I know more specifics about your card I can probably give you an idea of how much you could overclock it and how much gain you would see

Edit: I'm an idiot :p 

600/500/1500
depending on cooling, (the gt1-0s tend to get pretty toasty when overclocked) my guess would be that you could get that up to around 675/540/1680
(Im not just taking a shot in the dark here, I have the Gt 120, and I pretty much have to overclock it for Starcraft2 :??:  )

What you'll want to do is go here, and install Rivatuner. You'll also want to have some sort of gpu heavy application to use for stability testing, personally i use 3DMark05 (http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark05/)

So, open up rivatuner click in the bar that says "Forceware Detected" on the box that says customize, then click on system settings, go to the fan tab, if thats adjustable, set it to 100%, then click on the overclocking tab and turn each setting up by about 25, then run 3DMark. Lather, Rinse, and Repeat.

Whenever you start seeing artifacts (random things on the screen that should not be there) you'll know you've gone too far, generally artifacts are caused by memory as opposed to core or shader speed, so you'll want to turn your memory down by about 15 when that happens. So just mess with it like that for a while, and itd also be a good idea to install fanspeed and use it to monitor your gpu temps, you'll want to make sure they dont get over 80 or 90C, because all sorts of bad stuff will happen, and will potentially derp your laptop.
I wish you luck on your overclocking adventure my good sir (or ma'am) :D 

2nd Edit: I forgot to mention, depending on how far you can push it, you can actually get some pretty decent gains from overclocking these cards, i went from getting 45fps on sc2 to getting 90ish, though i cant guarantee itll be the same gains for your case..
March 20, 2011 6:21:06 PM

Best answer selected by draiklord.
!