Converting parallel port? ? ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 18, 2005 1:08:36 AM

A friend recently purchased a new Dell laptop, unaware that it didn't have a
parallel port. We got one of those mini-docks, but had a hell of a time
getting the old printer -- a HP LaserJet6L -- to print. It's still not
entirely satisfactory. We're constantly having to tinker with settings.

Is there some piece of equipment which can reliably convert a parallel
printer cable to a USB port?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 1:11:21 AM

Yes, there are USB to parallel adapters that will probably work in most
cases.

Ray wrote:

> A friend recently purchased a new Dell laptop, unaware that it didn't have a
> parallel port. We got one of those mini-docks, but had a hell of a time
> getting the old printer -- a HP LaserJet6L -- to print. It's still not
> entirely satisfactory. We're constantly having to tinker with settings.
>
> Is there some piece of equipment which can reliably convert a parallel
> printer cable to a USB port?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 1:51:54 AM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:08:36 GMT, "Ray"
<rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:

>Is there some piece of equipment which can reliably convert a parallel
>printer cable to a USB port?

Dunno, but most laserjet would have an ethernet adapter/print server
as optional equipment. That would be the sure-fire way for the printer
to work nice.
Related resources
February 18, 2005 2:06:26 AM

Thanks Barry --

On an entirely different subject, do you know the minimum requirements for a
laptop to support Windows XP?

For instance, would a Compaq Presario 1200 series, circa 1998, with a small
HDD, take Win XP?

-- Ray
> Yes, there are USB to parallel adapters that will probably work in most
> cases.
>

> Ray wrote:
>
>> A friend recently purchased a new Dell laptop, unaware that it didn't
>> have a parallel port. We got one of those mini-docks, but had a hell of a
>> time getting the old printer -- a HP LaserJet6L -- to print. It's still
>> not entirely satisfactory. We're constantly having to tinker with
>> settings.
>>
>> Is there some piece of equipment which can reliably convert a parallel
>> printer cable to a USB port?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 2:06:27 AM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:06:26 GMT, "Ray"
<rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:

>On an entirely different subject, do you know the minimum requirements for a
>laptop to support Windows XP?

Min 4 GIG, 128MB, 100 GHZ.

It will run very sloooooowly, but it will run.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 9:17:02 AM

Bobb: 100 GHz? Must be a typo. I have a Thinkpad 600 (288 MHz) that
runs XP Pro just fine. The key on speed is memory/RAM size. Yes, it
will run at 128MB, but there is so much disk swapping going on that it
runs quite slow. Once I doubled the memory, the system speed is quite
acceptable. Yes, 4 GIG of HD is ok, but it too will soon be full as XP
took quite a bit of it, and subsequent "recovery" files will eat up the
spare spaces.
February 18, 2005 3:10:18 PM

Thanks Bobb -- I thought of that. I use a print server myself. But she
doesn't want to install an ethernet system. Her needs are very limited. In
addition, I have to say, I had a difficult time getting my Linksys print
server to working properly.

-- Ray
"bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
news:o 14b11p7p74g24dhead0bjsfag7snd1a6b@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:08:36 GMT, "Ray"
> <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:
>
>>Is there some piece of equipment which can reliably convert a parallel
>>printer cable to a USB port?
>

> Dunno, but most laserjet would have an ethernet adapter/print server
> as optional equipment. That would be the sure-fire way for the printer
> to work nice.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 19, 2005 12:01:05 AM

I'd say that the absolute minimum to support XP is 192 meg of memory and
a Pentium II processor, 266 MHz or greater. But that is absolute
minimum, it might run, but you wont' like it. Hard drive is the least
of your problems, you can load XP in only a gigabyte or 2, and you can
get 4 to 10 gig hard drives for almost nothing, and hard drives are easy
to upgrade.

However, you could run into situations in which there are no XP drivers
for the video or sound or some other semi-critical component.

!