Sign in with
Your question

Whether or not to upgrade my router's firmware.

Last response: in Networking
June 12, 2010 11:31:32 AM

Hello everybody. Anyway, I bought a Linksys E1000 yesterday and I'm kind of hesitant to upgrade the firmware to the latest one because of bad experiences with my earlier BEFSR41, you see I tried a firmware upgrade on it a few months after I bought it from Circuit City and once I did the power light started flashing and the Linksys techtold me it was bricked. So I mailed it in and got the replacement, bow last week I tried another firmware upgrade and bricked the replacement router, which is why i bought this instead. I've tried the same steps and bricked two routers just upgrading the firmware but this new firmware for the E1000 promises protection against bugs of future firmware so I kind of want to check it out. Thanks for reading.
Anonymous
June 12, 2010 6:23:44 PM

Couple of suggestions:

Make sure you follow the instructions on updating to the letter. Including any reference to the correct browser or operating systems. Safest to stick with IE and don't try to use a different version of Windows to the one mentioned (assuming it is) as there have been problems (for example) with people using Vista when XP was recommended.

And DO NOT attempt to update firmware via a wireless connection between computer and router -- wired only !!!
June 12, 2010 8:24:03 PM

I usually do and Linksys doesn't recommend what OS I have, as long as the harware version and the firmware match, funny thing is I folowed al directions and still managed to brick their router. On the tech support call they told me to call them the next time I want to upgrade my firmware, like they would help me out if the thing bricked anyway.
!