ASUS : Maximus IV Extreme vs Rampage IV Extreme

blues76

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hi,
I'm trying to get specs to build my system. I do want a powerful system, but my budget is low. Originally, I had a budget of 500 but now, I have increased the budget to 1,000.

The idea is to spend the money in the board + cpu and then later after some time that i can get more money, add better video cards and extra ram to the system.

I do want to have more than one video card , to do some testing with openCL and some of its ability. I do intensive graphic works (openGL and OGRE3D) but no where near games.

However, I rather have something that it will be powerful, at least for 2 years.

I have narrow down the search to ASUS boards (I will be open to receive opinions about better equivalent boards from other brands)

My problem with both of them, is obviously the cost. One is twice as much. One uses Z68 chipset lga1155 and the other one x79 lga2011.

To be honest, I think the Z68 should do for me. But before making a decision, I want to hear some opinions. Also, the x79 will not only increase the price of the board but the cpu as well.

the two motherboards are ASUS Maximus IV Extreme vs Rampage IV Extreme

Thanks,
Francisco

blues76

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
gmcizzle. yeah, a 1000 is too low... I meant a 1000 dollars (with luck) for board + cpu only. that's is without additional requirements...
Why do you suggest Asus Pro Gen3 vs the one that I proposed? ASUS Maximus IV Extreme
thanks

blues76

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Thank you... I'm trying to do my own homework. I had already posted in System Build, so someone gave me some great pointers...

I'm almost decided with board... I think for the cpu I will pick 2600

My next post, will be for cases... I was suggested one, but I need more help with that...

Yeah, I'm doing my own research about this... it has been long since I have built my own system.
I think what got me thinking about the X79 was the specs I read in the intel site, but it is too much money. I can always get it for my next pc, probably will be a lot lower or maybe I get lucky and I have extra cash to for the "state-of-the-art"

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Gen3 board is more future-proof, as gfx cards start using PCIe 3.0, and you can just throw in an Ivy Bridge CPU later if you want to upgrade to that.

blues76

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Thank you.

But this motherboard is not the extrema... which they do have a gen3 but I can't find it anywhere.

PS: Moderator, please have this thread as "SOLVED"

blues76

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
not in stock... but asus has it listed in their site. you are correct, it is not in stock. Since I can wait a little bit, I can check the stock of newegg and amazon until comes out... but if you go to asus web site, you will see it

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Ok I do see the GENE-Z gen3 board, but if you plan on using more than 1 graphics card an mATX board might be a problem. Unless you are building a micro tower portable build, I would go with a standard ATX board.

blues76

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I'm planning to use more than video card. Can you explain where is the problem... your help is great.

I was thinking that Gene-Z-Gen3 board was better...

thank you so much

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
The Gene-Z is a micro ATX board, and is basically made for small portable gaming systems. It's PCIe slots are very close together. How many video cards and/or PCI slots are you planning to use? You might want to check out this one if you are going to be using more than 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157269

If not then the ASUS gen3 Pro board will do everything you want. There's really no need to get the "Extreme" boards anyways unless you're looking to break OC records on ln2 cooling.