NEW I7 RIG under 1500. NEED OPINIONS. NOT SOLVED

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
OK so maybe its not a monster but its still going to be a sic new rig.

so here is what I've got
CASE = Lancool PC-K62 - Mid tower
MOBO = ASUS Rampage III Formula
PSU = Kingwin Mach 1 Power ABT-1000MA1S (1000W)
CPU = Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz
CPU COOLER = Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50
RAM = Mushkin Redline Frostbyte 998805 (1 triple 6 gig)
Video Card GPU = MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC 1GB

Hard drives an optical will be pulled from my scrap pile or from my other rigs (I'm a computer tech among other things so i got plenty of this stuff). I'm considering a solid state boot drive but it just doesn't really seem to be cost effective.

This entire rig is right at 1350 when buying everything off amazon.

SO here is why I am posting. I have a little extra money I can spend on this if it would really be worth it.
I game a little but my current rig can't really handle most new games. With this new rig I plan on gaming more. I am also an animator and I do a lot with 3D, video, and photoshop. This is actually the primary function for this machine. SO in your humble opinions would I be better off getting another GTX460 and running SLI or doubling ram up to 12gb or dropping the gtx 460 and going with a quadro?
My thought is to get more ram.

PLEASE COMMENT, SUGGEST, AND STAND IN AWW lol.

Approximate Purchase Date: the next 2 weeks to a month

Budget Range: 1500 max trying to keep it a low as possible but maximize performance

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D animation/modeling/fx, video editing, image editing, want to game sometimes.

Parts Not Required: optical drives, hard drives

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or New Egg.

Country of Origin: USA, Cali

Parts Preferences: intel I7

Overclocking: Yes when needed

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: does not matter

Additional Comments: quiet is good, has to be upgradeable,

Solution
Without suggesting anything too fast, i have to say 2 things: your power supply is an overkill and your graphics card isnt good enough (compared to the other parts) for gaming at least.

mbkcod4

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Without suggesting anything too fast, i have to say 2 things: your power supply is an overkill and your graphics card isnt good enough (compared to the other parts) for gaming at least.

Solution

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

I always overkill on my mobo's and PSU's for the sake of future upgrades. From what i read this card is a fantastic performer and more then adequate for most games. Can you show me what facts you are basing this opinion on.
I know its the weakest link but after researching it seems to be the most bang for my buck as well as one of the highest reviewed/ least problematic cards available.

I didnt mean to mark the best answer! How do i fix this????????

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Usually i overclock my processors farther and farther over the years just to squeeze every last bit out of it before I upgrade. SO i will probably overclock it just a tad to begin. The bigger reason i chose the H50 is because of my assumption it will be quieter and more effective then air. The quietness is an assumption on my part and could be completely wrong so please correct me if this is the case. One other reason i chose this cooler is because i hate having huge bulky coolers in the way if i need to do something in the case.
The savings would be nice though..... hmmmmmm

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
i think you should go for a better graphics card like 6850/6870

the 6850 is better by a very very very small margin in test. Almost to the point where its the same. Ill let the 6850 have the tiny performace advantage due to the fact its also about $20 cheaper. However, I will take the tiny performance loss in order to avoid ATI's drivers. I have had a few fights with Catalyst on clients computers. I have always owned and used nvidia Gforce or Quadro myself so i really don't have much user experience with ATI other then figting with their strange drivers and software.
In a comparisons that factor in OC the 4850 and 460 are nearly identical. For me this means the 460 wins by default due to my personal preference for their drivers and software.

the 6870 does have a small performance advantage over the 460 but for apps like i use I'm under the impression Gforce is the way to go. This is an opinion so please feel free to point me to any info that says otherwise.

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
How do i fix unsolved this thread? Somehow this thread now says it has a best answer and it has been solved. HOW DO I UNDO THIS????
Moderator or someone help me. This is not solved

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Wait for Sandy Bridge on Jan. 5th article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/1

Your 460 is a bit underpowered compared to the rest maybe a 570: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593&cm_re=570_gtx-_-14-130-593-_-Product

No idea how to switch best answer, ask a moderator

The Hyper 212+ fan(s) are very quiet I have one in my system and the graphics card 5850 is louder than it set at 23% sound speed.

reviews for 212+: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-review/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/coolermaster_hyper_212_plus/

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/19383-cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-cpu-cooler-review-13.html

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Wait for Sandy Bridge on Jan. 5th article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871 [...] in-a-row/1
whats it about? Are you pointing me to the article your linking to? Not sure what your saying here.

Your 460 is a bit underpowered compared to the rest maybe a 570: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product
OK fine. all you 460 haters (jk) have convinced me to look into a bigger badder video card. the 2 reasons i chose this card were this specific one is suposed to be extremely quiet and in sli 2 of these outperform the 580 in many cases with a cheaper price tag at the moment.
However i will not have another evga if i can avoid it. I have an evga 6600GT now and it has been RMA 2 times and i remember having driver issues with the evga site i think. not sure but I'm just going to skip evga if possible.
I'll get back to you with my new choice

The Hyper 212+ fan(s) are very quiet I have one in my system and the graphics card 5850 is louder than it set at 23% sound speed.
considering it. for savings mainly.

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I still feel like i'd be better getting 2
MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC 1GB
in SLI because of the $30 rebate
that means $358 that outperforms a 580 in most cases.

This is a tough one.

If i go up to 580 i may as well start looking at quadro.

The hyper 212 would be more affected by the video card heat unless its an EE card. While the H50 would be immune to video card heat since it draws air in from the outside of the case......

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
NOW I REMEMBER WHY I USE AMAZON OVER NEWEGG. NO CA SALES TAX! it totally blows the deal even with rebate.
I may still get the video cards there just for the rebates

saves some money if i buy the case, video cards and psu from newegg. but if i go with the whole package amazon is cheaper. Going to split the order

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
price is at 1388.81 without ram (sold out on amazon and newegg)
Anyone herd anything about this ram being discontinued or anything. I cant find it anywhere and mushkin sales hasn't replied to my email in a few days now.

so with ram i'll be right at or over the 1500 mark. Which is my max.

Anyone care to comment on the idea of going for 12 gigs or ram rather then a second video card?

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
going to buy this rig in the next few days so please chime in

as it stand now Its

CASE = Lancool PC-K62 - Mid tower
MOBO = ASUS Rampage III Formula
PSU = Kingwin Mach 1 Power ABT-1000MA1S (1000W)
CPU = Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz
CPU COOLER = Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 Hyper 212 Plus
RAM = Mushkin Redline Frostbyte 998805 (1 triple 6 gig)
Video Card GPU = MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC 1GB (2X in SLI)

Total = 1347.06
- 60 mail in rebate for video cards
total 1287.06

I have 125 in amazon gift cards from credit card rewards

total 1187.06
Pretty good deal