theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hello i really need help very fast im buyting this computer in like an hour and i was wondering if 16gb of ram is going to be a problem
16gb of ram with windows home premium 64bit will it work?
the website says it reccomends windows proffesion or ultimate for my setup as far as ram goes? will it cause a preformance drop?

Solution
you don't need 16gb of ram. 4 is good enough for most. 8 if you want to splurge.............. i use windows 7 OEM 64bit. No need to get the expensive one. there will be NO performance drop.

might help to know what you use the machine for and what other hardware you are thinking of using.
No. Any ram amount greater than 6 gb is probably a waste of money, but we can all induldge to our heart's content thanks to the recession and cheap ddr3. 16 gb is more ram than your programs will ever need. Your performance will be outstanding. If your board defaults to a lower ram speed than it's certified for, then set the speed in "manual" mode but let the board choose the timings. And enjoy.

you don't need 16gb of ram. 4 is good enough for most. 8 if you want to splurge.............. i use windows 7 OEM 64bit. No need to get the expensive one. there will be NO performance drop.

might help to know what you use the machine for and what other hardware you are thinking of using.

Solution

AbdullahG

Distinguished
If you plan on going RAM heavy tasks (3D rendering, video and photo editing, etc.), 16GB of RAM wouldn't hurt. Anything else besides that is a waste and can cause issues (voltage issues, instability, and more). There's virtually no performance boost in mot applications.