madcat20xac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I have a Toughpower 650W modular, that i've had for about 3.5 years. One day i want to see if i could clean up the wires in the case and found a shorter new sata cable i had never used and plugged that in to replace my old cable. The moment i switched my computer on there was a buzz and it stopped. So I unplugged all the cables from the psu and plugged them one by on back into the power supply, and determined it to be the SATA connectors to the psu. There was also a faint smell of burning present. I then unplugged all my sata devices and plugged in a harddrive from my previous build, and tried to boot up the computer. Same buzz and stop, except this time I had taken the harddrive out of the case and it was SMOKING, literally smoke came out of the harddrive. The computer will turn on if the sata cable is not connected to anything. For now I'm using a molex 4 pin to sata adapter on the ones that i had the right mind to disconnect before testing, and it boots that way. I don't want to destroy any more harddrives, so I cannot do any more testing. I know that I plugged the SATA in right since it's keyed to only fit one way, and i've been doing this for many years. Is the power supply still safe to use without using the SATA connections?