Dell Inspiron 8600 Graphics

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 17, 2005 10:26:47 PM

Hi,

I just got a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. Out of the box, I noticed that
the graphics (e.g., web page pictures, system tray icons) look bad --
the best way I can describe it is that the edges are jagged and color
transitions are not smooth. It's an SXGA+ display and I'm using its
native resolution of 1680 x 1050, with 32-bit color (the default
out-of-the-box settings). The fonts are very crisp and well-defined,
it's just the graphics that exhibit the problem. What's wrong? I'm
sure it's just a setting somewhere, but I've never encountered this
problem before...

Many thanks,
Nick
February 18, 2005 12:02:20 AM

Thanks Terry, it was the DPI setting! It was set to 120 DPI for some
reason; I set it to 96, and the graphics are fine now. :-)

-Nick

Terry Stockdale wrote:

> My I-8600 graphics are fine. Check Display Properties, Settings,
> Advanced, General.
>
> There are some DPI settings there. The default for the 1680x1024
> should be 96dpi. Those could be affecting the images while the
> ClearType setting (in Advanced Effects, below) may be keeping the
> fonts in nice shape.
>
> Other tip -- Display Properties, Advanced, Effects -- turn off the
> cutesy transitions and shadows for faster video response.
>
> Terry
> Check out my computer tips, coffee pages and forums at
> http://www.terrystockdale.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 12:35:11 AM