lynnmonk

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Hello,
My problem is that I built a sealed room with a 10m USB cable sealed into the wall in order to run a webcam inside the room. Needless to say the camera didn't work and I then discovered that it's probably due to the length of the USB cable. However, I can't seem to find a device that will boost the signal over the whole 10 metres from one end. Can anyone suggest a solution? I can't remove or replace the cable as it is sealed into the walls.

Hello, and welcome to THG.

Looks like you got yourself into a pickle there. I cannot tell you off the back of my head of any amplification device that will aid in USB.

Why did'nt you do it from your computer, or go wireless?

G

USB2.0 / USB1.0 is 5m maximum, this has nothing to do with signal strength or signal losses over the cable but is a requirement of the transmission time for USB. IIRC USB has a maximum transmission time of ~ 25ns, which for copper cables means a maximum length of 5 metres (5 x 5ns per metre signal delay in copper, I guess). Whatever the explanation the bottom line is there is no solution. Sorry.

On a separate note. Sealed Room? Webcam?? Sounds a little sinister, and not a good sinister either.
More a Tom's-has-got-it's-own-Serial-Killer sort of sinister.

Whatever, sounds interesting, what are you up to? There might be another solution ^wireless would be a start.

Stuart

lynnmonk

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
That's a shame. It looks like I'm stuck with a cable that doesn't work, then!

I tried a Belkin wireless USB hub but the signal strength was far too low to transmit through the wall. Also the web-cam I bought for the job turned out to be incompatible with it (something about non-synchronous end-points!). So, unless someone invents a device that'll solve my problem, it looks like I'll have some stuff to sell on eBay.

As for your query, I'm sorry to have to inform you that I'm not the board's first serial killer. My sealed room is airtight for it's soundproofing quality. It is a recording studio and I wanted the camera installed so that I could film sessions for broadcast online. That is why I can't drill another cable through the wall, it would ruin the soundproofing.

I've ended up buying a camcorder instead. Not ideal, as I can't film the session and produce the music at the same time. I would have preferred to have a fixed camera or two in the room. My attempts at anchoring the camcorder to a mic stand and leaving it running have so far left me with about 5 seconds of the bass player and hours of footage of the floor!

LOL this is not a hard question yet dogman fails again....

OK OP let me save you.

All you need is a USB to CAT5 adapter this actually will allow you to run upto 500 feet with no problem.

http://www.amazon.com/over-Cat5-Extension-Cable-Adapter/dp/B002WJ9S6Y

Another method I have seen used is to get a cheap USB hub and use that in the middle of the connection I have seen this work with up to 25 feet of USB cable before, but some devices just simply won't work that far away on just straight USB.

G

That's a neat solution, i'll have to remember that one