Help Pick! MSI 470 OR GIGABYTE 470 (same price)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATF_ILLINI

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I'm buying a GTX 470 in the next day or so.

These two cards are both currently the same $$$ after deals on Newegg, so decision is a bit harder.

MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $279.99 after mail-in rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127513

GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N470SO-13I GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - $279.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125338

I know the Gigabyte is OC'd out of the box. I've read better things about the MSI Afterburner tool though.

I like quieter components, so not sure if the 2 fan design or 3 fan design is better.

Any thoughts on which one to get?

Any experience with either?

Know of any head to head reviews?

Solution
Go for the one YOU like the most, simple as that.

Both preform about the same, the gigabyte has the edge, but in this scenario, i doubt you'd noticed the FPS difference between the 2.

So good for the one who has more warranty, game bundles/accessories and the one you like the look of.
It seems like the Twin Frozr II fans is a little bit bigger than Gigabyte's fans and that MSI card has better reviews and tends to running cooler than any GTX470 since this card usually run HOT...
GTX470 at stock speed is already fast enough, well that's just me. If you want better performance then get that Super Overclocked card from Gigabyte. Once again, heat is the main issue here, if you are sure that your case can handle that SC card then go for it. :)

There is another thread asking about the MSI GTX470 Twin Frozr II card, and I have yet to find a single review.
MSI Afterburner will work with any card by the way.

On the other hand, the Gigabythe GTX470 SOC has gotten rave reviews:
"Despite what you might think, this card is silent .. oh so very silent."
"As you guys know, this card is positioned against ATI's Radeon HD 5850, which has dropped to under 300 USD, but due to that overclock it competes with the Radeon HD 5870 and closes in dangerously at the GeForce GTX 480."
"We measure an excellent 39 DBa when the GPU is massively under stress. Under normal circumstances this means you cannot hear the cooler. We were shocked to find out how silent this card really is, truly amazing."
"Just grab an overclock application like Gigabyte's own software of just take AfterBurner which works fine with this card, give it a little extra voltage if you desire to do so, increase fan RPM a little to say 70%~75% and then the sky is the limit. We managed to push 800 MHz on the core without too much hassle, that is 1600 MHz on the shader domain and the memory overclock at 4000 MHz (effective data-rate) wasn't shoddy either."
"So overall we really like what Gigabyte did here with this SOC model, the custom cooler is certainly really good and you'll notice severe improvement in cooling at an absolute low noise level."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-470-soc-review/1

ATF_ILLINI

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
The case is a HAF X, so no heat issue.

I saw the reviews on Newegg, so looking like MSI has an edge there.

Anybody have an opinion as to whether both cards would ultimately OC to the same level?

Not sure if the 93MHz handicap out of the box for the MSI card can easily be made up with MSI Afterburner software?

Thanks for the reply.

The Gigabyte card looks great and in some reviews uses less power than a reference board, even at factory OC. However, one big word of caution, the Gigabyte is 11.5 inches long! Make sure your case has the space. The MSI is sub 10.5 inches (maybe in the 10 inch range?).

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Go for the one YOU like the most, simple as that.

Both preform about the same, the gigabyte has the edge, but in this scenario, i doubt you'd noticed the FPS difference between the 2.

So good for the one who has more warranty, game bundles/accessories and the one you like the look of.

Solution

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
The MSI Twin Frozr II should be your pick! I've read some reviews on newegg itself on the Gigabyte card and it seems some people are getting temp's upto 105. The OC'd version 'will' give you higher temp's and I really don't see the need for OC'ing the 470....it's already got a lotta juice in it!

However, should you need to OC the card, the MSI afterburner is more than capable of doing the task. Plus, your focus should be on the heat issue. I bought the MSI N470GTX coz the Twin Frozr wasn't available.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127501&cm_re=msi_470_gtx-_-14-127-501-_-Product

If it were, I would have spent that extra buck and gone for it. I was using the MSI NGTS250 Twin Frozr earlier and was very happy with the cooling (though that card never ran hot!).

The 470 is built to run hot. Mine is averaging at 90 C with 2 case fans, so I'm betting the Twin Frozr would do much better.

Just think about it.....

sgvtech

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Either choice... you will be very happy with it... I'm very happy with my GTX 470 plus mines doesn't run as hot as most people say - it helps that I also have 3 fans in my PC case...

Status
Not open for further replies.