I5 2500k temp too high?

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hi, guys.

I have overclocked my i5 2500k to 4.5 ghz and it seems like my temps are way higher than it should be.

So I dropped it down to 4.2 ghz and notice that right after I turn the computer on in the morning it is at 33c

and after it's been on a while it is idle at around 40~41c and load ~67c

That seems way too hot with a hyper 212+ right?

I think I might have put the thermal paste a little too much..

BTW cable management is good and heatsink is secured down tight

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Unfortunately, it is on gaming. What vcore should I change it to? And where do I change it at? I just followed mrface's overclocking guide and I am quite sure it is on auto.

thanks for the reply!

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

I just changed it to 1.345 Vcore and my temperature skyrocketed! Prime95 for about 15 seconds and it hit 75c so I stopped it.. Did I do something wrong? Because when it was in auto the highest after running 20 minutes was like 71c

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

I am not sure how to check it when it was in auto, in Core Temp it says VID: 1.3811v but I don't think that is VCore

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Gotcha, I will start at around 1.15 and go up from there and run 95 and see if it's stable. How long should I run 95 for?

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Ok, thanks to you, my temperature dropped down A LOT.

now it is idle around 37c and load at 63c (prime95)

While I was on the BIOS, I saw CPU I/O voltage or something, right below CPU Vcore, and it was set on auto.

Can you tell me what that is?

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
80 is the I should stop temp
1.4v is the max cpu voltage
1.2 is the max VccSa voltage.

If you get in the 60s under load testing then your fine

I don't see VccSa Voltage on my BIOS, could that be the I/O I was asking about in the above post?

Nice change in temp. Not sure what the other voltage is.

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
VccSa is when you oc the ram and the IMC.

Easy way to overclock it is to put the multiplier on 40.
Now remember cpu multiplier x bclock = cpu frequency.
Now bclock is tied to a 100mhz.
So what ever you set the multiplier on will be x100.
So put it on 40
Then put the vcore to 1.25.
Try and boot and run prime on it for 20 min. If it fails. Back in the bios set vcore up by 0.025. Save prime it. Repeat this till it passes.
Then bump your multiplier up by 1.
Save prime it. If it pass set it up by 1 again. If it fails. Do the above mention 0.025 procedure. Now just bump the multiplier prime it and apply the vcore 0.025 when it fails till you get a pass.
So watch your temps 80 is the max where you should stop
1.4v is the max voltage where you should stop
So if you do it the above method. You won't apply more voltage than needed. Also make sure you enable the pll overvoltage setting in the bios. When your done with it. Let me know and I can show how to do the ram in a easy way

I pm'ed you about this method, I hope you can answer before tonight's over

rumbled

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
VccSa is when you oc the ram and the IMC.

Easy way to overclock it is to put the multiplier on 40.
Now remember cpu multiplier x bclock = cpu frequency.
Now bclock is tied to a 100mhz.
So what ever you set the multiplier on will be x100.
So put it on 40
Then put the vcore to 1.25.
Try and boot and run prime on it for 20 min. If it fails. Back in the bios set vcore up by 0.025. Save prime it. Repeat this till it passes.
Then bump your multiplier up by 1.
Save prime it. If it pass set it up by 1 again. If it fails. Do the above mention 0.025 procedure. Now just bump the multiplier prime it and apply the vcore 0.025 when it fails till you get a pass.
So watch your temps 80 is the max where you should stop
1.4v is the max voltage where you should stop
So if you do it the above method. You won't apply more voltage than needed. Also make sure you enable the pll overvoltage setting in the bios. When your done with it. Let me know and I can show how to do the ram in a easy way

Im a noobie at overclocking but I have all the basics down. What is your easy ram overclocking method if you mind sharing... Thanks!!