Sign in with
Your question

Is my PSU Dying, PC takes several attempts to boot

Last response: in Components
March 20, 2011 11:12:46 PM

So I just built a pc on Friday (well upgraded an old one)

Parts are

CPU - Intel I7 2600k

Motherboard - Asrock P67 Extreme 4

GPU - ATI HD RADEON 5870

Memory - 4 gb DDR3 Gskill @ 2133 mzh

Power Supply - OCZ Gamexstream 700

Case - Coolermaster CM690

I reused several components, fans, case and power supply.

Since I built the computer it takes a few attempts to boot up after it's been off for a while (doesn't happen after a quick off/on, or on restarts)

What will happen is I'll hit the power, fans will turn on and it seems like its ready to go and will shut off. Sometimes it will then reboot, stop, and then it will fully come on. There is a monitoring led on the motherboard that will go to 60 when I boot and if it fails it will go like 30 then off. When it works it will go 60 - 90 back down to 60ish and then will turn into letters.

Is my system not getting the appropriate power? I have an OCZ Gamexstream 700, and once the system is up and going it works flawlessly.

a c 694 ) Power supply
March 20, 2011 11:19:38 PM

The PSU is big enough! Probably a different problem motherboard or BIOS related.
m
l
March 21, 2011 9:39:23 AM

bumping for any other ideas....

I really hope it's not motherboard, I purchased the Asrock board on principle since Asus was total crap my last go around with them, both the product and support. I bought the Asrock because they offered me better service and a product I had no issues with.

m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2011 10:42:54 AM

Your system is having trouble testing itself.
I assume you do not have a way to breadboard your components so,
-Unplug all the PSU cables and inspect them carefully.
-(you don't mention whether the RAM is one stick or two) if the RAM is a 2x2 setup, take each out one at a time and try to boot.
-Remove the video card and try to boot.
If it does, maybe you have a friend who will let you borrow a video card to test with. If it doesn't then you either have a bad PSU or MB. Buy a PSU you can return to test this out.
m
l
March 21, 2011 11:20:36 AM

Noworldorder

Thank you for the response.

Just to provide you a bit more info.

I do have a 2x2gb setup for memory, at this point I have not tried to boot with one stick. I have ran prime 95 for about 7 hours and the windows memory diagnostic, neither found any issues.

The PSU I have unplugged and checked and seems fine; I also unplugged the CPU cable, motherboard power cable, gpu cables etc. I don't think this is a PSU issue. The reason I don't think that is when I googled the problem the majority of the answers were "your psu is friend go get another one", so people did and came back to post that didn't solve the problem.

The video card I will try to remove (as will i with the memory) but again don't think that would be a problem. I was using the video card for about a month prior to switching over to this other hardware without issue.

I'll try this stuff, my guess is it's a bad motherboard. This is the second time I have built a computer, the first go around I had a terrible time with bad motherboards + bad customer support from Asus, figures I'll probably have the same problems from Asrock.

m
l
March 21, 2011 11:45:10 AM

Considering that last bit, yes, I agree, you almost certainly have a bad MB.
I am sorry you got soured on ASUS - they make great stuff. I agree their service needs improvement; as does 99% of the industry. My last board was an ASUS and it was fine. I have a Gigabyte now because ASUS had messed up their QVL when I was buying, but I can tell you this: Gigabyte service is no better! I guess both companies put their money in their components - not in their corporate office. :) 
m
l
March 21, 2011 2:31:35 PM

I talked to the IT guy at my work today who said has had the same thing happen to him before.

He inquired if I had unnecessary standards (the things on the case you put the motherboard on) and I said yes, just took out the old motherboard and plopped the new one on top.

He told me likely the cause of my problem is an unused standard is rubbing against the motherboard and causing a short.

So tonight I'm going to take everything apart and take off all the unnecessary standards to see if that works.
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
March 21, 2011 2:41:50 PM

The only Standoffs you use are the ones that fit the mounting holes on your board!
m
l
March 21, 2011 3:26:34 PM

whitey_rolls said:
So tonight I'm going to take everything apart and take off all the unnecessary standards to see if that works.
If there are extra standoffs under the board, then you have found the source of the problem.
m
l
March 21, 2011 5:07:27 PM

Ya I'm an idiot ... didn't even think about it...

I'm sure this will fix the problem... will come back later tonight or tomorrow after I've taken the PC apart so I can confirm with everyone the solution.
m
l
March 21, 2011 11:05:30 PM

Would be nice if I could post that the Standoffs were the error but they don't seem to be.

I pulled the entire computer apart, took the motherboard off, I did have one standoff out of place. I made sure they were all in the correct position, put it back together and still have the same issue.

Any other ideas?
m
l
March 22, 2011 12:55:33 AM

1) might not have been the standoff.
2) might have been the standoff and it cooked something on the MB.
3) might have been the MB all along.
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:04:25 AM

I found the problem (I think) .. I've had three successful boots in a row without issue.

I reset the CMOS and haven't had a bad boot since, so going to assume that solved the issue.

I would like to thank those who posted for offering up their ideas.
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
March 22, 2011 9:48:08 AM

Any known settings you had changed in BIOS previously?
m
l
March 22, 2011 9:50:38 AM

I haven't really changed anything in bios, just my boot setup.

And so much for having my problem fixed....

I turned it on this morning same problem occured.

I think at this point I'm going to take the computer to the place where I bought all the parts (they have a service dept). And just tell them to look at it and if they determine the motherboard or something is faulty they can just replace it for me.
m
l
March 22, 2011 2:12:54 PM

So I just got off the phone with Canadacomputers in regards to the issue I'm having as I was trying to setup an exchange of motherboard.

The gentleman told me it is a memory issue but not faulty memory. He said they ran into the same problem when setting up their computers initially.

He advised the motherboard won't read the 2133 mhz memory when the bios is set to automatically read the memory and it will downlock it (currently my bios shows 1600mhz). So when the computer boots it reads the memory and shuts down, it will enter a boot cycle in order to lower the frequency and then it will boot.

Now last night it would boot right after a shut down right up, apparently the motherboard didn't have time to reset the frequency so it starts right up, but after sitting for a while the mb resets and has to downclock the memory.

He said go into the bios and change settings from Auto to XMP which will read the high frequency and fix the problem.

Does this sound like a logical answer, I will test it later but am currently at work so don't have access to my pc.
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
March 22, 2011 2:32:32 PM

It sounds like a logical next step! I have not read up on the XMP profile yet but will do. Let us know how it goes.
Setting the memory manually in BIOS should provide the same results.
m
l
March 22, 2011 4:49:53 PM

^+1
note that when you activate XMP, your CPU voltage will automatically be set higher by BIOS
m
l
March 22, 2011 4:55:03 PM

CPU voltage going up won't be a bad thing, it's not even at 1 volt currently, runs around .950 .... if it goes up to 1.1 or something I'm ok with that.

I would like to OC this once everything settles down which will increase my voltages to around 1.3 anyways.
m
l
March 22, 2011 11:10:21 PM

So I went into the ram settings in bios and it was set to AUTO but still had XMP enabled. The timings were 9-9-9-28 at 1600 mhz, the actually memory timings are 9-11-9-28 at 2133mhz.

So i made a new profile and amended the memory to the correct timings and speed. Needless to say this caused more problems than it solved. I wasn't even able to test whether this fixed my boot issue as I kept getting blue screens.

I'm calling Canadacomputers again tomorrow and am going to swap the motherboard.
m
l
March 25, 2011 12:58:08 AM

So

I took my pc to canada computers... they took a look at it, booted it a few times, went through UEFI etc.

Anyways, they told me there is nothing wrong with it and the boot cycle is typical of Sandybridge builds. I went onto google and did find similar problems but nobody saying it's particularly normal. So I went in a big email to Asrock support asking them for their insight.

Can anyone advise if this is 'typical' or sandybridge.
m
l
March 25, 2011 11:34:12 AM

whitey_rolls said:
So

I took my pc to canada computers... they took a look at it, booted it a few times, went through UEFI etc.

Anyways, they told me there is nothing wrong with it and the boot cycle is typical of Sandybridge builds. I went onto google and did find similar problems but nobody saying it's particularly normal. So I went in a big email to Asrock support asking them for their insight.

Can anyone advise if this is 'typical' or sandybridge.
I suspect your computer store is either incompetent or deceitful. If ASRock says that what you are experiencing is normal, they are also. My SB boots just like any other of the dozen processors I have owned - only faster :) 
m
l
March 25, 2011 2:53:39 PM

I called another Canadacomputers store who advised me the issues I'm having are not typical and something is wrong.

They told me to bring the motherboard with cpu and memory in all attached and they will test.

The Saga continues.
m
l
March 26, 2011 12:28:36 AM

So problem solved.

"Is my PSU dying?" ... the answer is Yes! ... been replaced and issue has dissapeared, motherboard seems to be fine.
m
l
March 26, 2011 1:16:23 AM

Applause!!!!
Good for you my friend!
Now have some fun after all your hard work.
m
l
March 26, 2011 1:31:42 AM

Noworldorder said:
Applause!!!!
Good for you my friend!
Now have some fun after all your hard work.

Thank you, the run around has been exhausting ... I'm just glad it's working though...

Thank you againf or all your answers in trying to help me solve this problem.
m
l
!