Ruling out CPU problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 17, 2005 11:18:43 PM

Hello,

This is regarding an old Sager notebook I received recently. It has a
PIII-500Mhz (MMC2) CPU. It does not have a fan on the heatsink.

Here is the problem: The system boots up erractically. It boots up only
when I have pressed down on the heatsink. When it does boot up, it
hangs up within seconds (it posts and detects HDD, FDD etc. then hangs
up).

I believe the cpu module is not making good contact with the
motherboard and when it does boot up, having pressed down on the
heatsink, it heats up and locks the system because it does not have a
fan to cool it.

I would appreciate any insights you may have on the situation. I want
to rule out defective CPU since I believe there is no problem with it,
and the problem lies with inadequate cooling.

Thanks,
Hk

More about : ruling cpu problem

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 1:44:36 AM

On 17 Feb 2005 20:18:43 -0800, "hk" <hkrishnan81@gmail.com> wrote:

>I believe the cpu module is not making good contact with the
>motherboard and when it does boot up, having pressed down on the
>heatsink, it heats up and locks the system because it does not have a
>fan to cool it.

You are right. You need a new heatsink/fan assembly.
!