Trying to figure out what video card to purchase

Jodans

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Heya,
I am looking to upgrade my current graphics card from the Radeon HD 3650 (512MB).

I have been searching for 2 days now and have found so many graphics cards with incoherent naming schemes that I now feel the need to ask.

What I am looking for:
Just for argument sake I am going to say I have a budget of $150-$200.
This is my exact computer, refurb and all, the only difference is I have upgraded to Windows 7:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107730
It has a 300W power supply so I may or may not need to upgrade that too?

What I am looking for is specifically a video card that can play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on I'd say at least medium settings, without pausing/slowing/lagging out while in a firefight and grenades/smoke going off.
I currently play on the absolute lowest settings, so anything would be an improvement really.
Also, I have no idea about AA, 4xAA or whatever, I mean I know it has to do with curves or something.
Just treat me as illiterate, I won't be offended.

I hope you guys/gals can help me find something, I'm just getting so frusterated.

Thanks!

-Edit- Sorry just came across the "How to ask thread" so a little more information:
I do not know anything about overclocking, so maybe?
My monitor claims to be best resolution at 1680x1050.
I am located in Washington, USA and don't have any real specific preference of website, I have used Newegg and CompUSA/TigerDirect for purchases already.
I think my computer is capable of Xfire, but that requires two graphics cards which I can't afford at the moment.

Jodans

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Thank you for your quick response.
Sorry being so long to get back to it.
I was looking through these suggestions and kinda honed in on the GTX 460 or 6850.
Would I get a marked improvement if I tried to save for say a $300 budget?
Also, if any card I get requires a 6-pin connection, I will need to get a new power supply, and resources you can point me to regarding learning to choose this also?
I have no idea what wattage my system uses, thus no idea how much I need to upgrade to cover everything after the new video card.

@ Jodans: Any high performance card will need at least one, and sometimes two connectors and more power than the current PSU (Power Supply Unit ;) ) can provide so you'll need to budget for both.
For a PSU Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, OCZ and PcPower and Cooling are highly recommended. For the system and a GTX460/HD6850 500-550W will be plenty. Stay away from cheap units- they're cheap for a reason and a poor quality PSU can cause all sorts of problems, up to and including destroying the system if it fails.
The least expensive card to fit would be the HD5770 but I'd suggest spending a little more and go for the 768 Mb GTX460.

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016
Plenty of juice and it's modular!

Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130562
Not quite the cheapest, but the great warranty is worth the few dollars extra.

Both come to $225 plus shipping.
Of course there will always be better offers, but finding them is half the fun ;)

Edit : No, I do not count on rebates!

Jodans

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Bystander, I linked in my original post the Newegg product page for my exact computer.

Coozie, thanks for that, the links and all.
Is there a big difference between the 1GB and the 768MB?
If there is a notable mark in performance, I could shell out the extra $40 for the 1GB.
Like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130568
Though I notice some say things like "super overclocked" Does this make it better?

There's not a great deal of difference, the 1Gb card is a little faster but it's main advantage is at higher resolutions, at 1680x1050 the768 Mb card can handle all but the most demanding games at high or even max settings.
Overclocked cards can be a bit faster but carry a price premium and can be unstable, I'd suggest you stick with a 'stock' card to keep the gremlins at bay.

TRENDING THREADS