Wireless router wont hardware

fallinfrom0feet

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
I have a modem from att wired to my wireless belkin router. Everything connects fine wirelessly, but when i try to hardwire anything it doesnt work. :eek: ive never had this problem before. help?

G

Sounds like an IP clash. Has the "anything" you're trying to connect previously been used for Internet Connection Sharing (in which case disable ICS).

Also check TCP/IP Properties. Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

Has a fixed IP address been set in the router.

fallinfrom0feet

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
none of the computers ive tried have been used for Internet Connection Sharing... And they are all set up to obtain DNS and IP address automatically...

I haven't changed anything in the router so everything there should still be factory defaults....

fallinfrom0feet

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
and now it seems that i cant even get into my router via the usual 192.168.2.1 which ive done a million times to set up mac address filtering... but everyones connected to the internet via wireless... im connected and can use the web like usual but when i try to get into the router it gives me that generic page "the connection has timed out" "the connection was reset" ect....

G

Connect computer to router by ethernet cable. Go Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt and at the black and white cursor type IPCONFIG /ALL . In the results you should see the router's IP address next to the word gateway.

If no joy try the reset button on the router. The default IP address for many routers is 192.168.0.1 or 1.1