king_brad

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Have had a homebuilt Intel quad-core system for about 2 1/2 years. Not overclocked or modified in anyway, and has been running stable since I built it. Over the past month or so, however, I have seen a series of issues:

- Case fan and one of the knobs on my fan controller suddenly died, both at once.

- 3 or 4 times, the system has shut off entirely, without warning. It does not appear to be a heat shutdown; if I press the power button, it will power back on immediately, with no beeps, and stay on. The system idles at 37-40C and maxes out at perhaps 50C, so I do not suspect heat

- One time, after the above happened, I got an error message saying "Overclock failed!" (as I mentioned, I do not have the machine overclocked. Although I do have some 1.7V DDR3-1333 RAM that had to be set manually for voltage.) This error went away on its own the next time I turned the machine on and hasn't returned.

- This morning, when I turn on the power, the system will power up for about 5 seconds, shut off before it reaches the POST screen, then turn itself back on and repeat the above in an endless loop.

- I've tested the voltages with software only, and it's giving me a readout of 11.4V on the 12V rail. That's right on the edge of acceptability, but I know software monitoring is not always 100% accurate.

Also of note: The power supply is a NZXT Performance Power 800W, which I bought before I knew any better.

At any rate, I do have another power supply that I can swap it out with -- was going to use it for my next system that I will be building soon, but I suppose if this one is dead, that's the more pressing need. Does it sound like I'm on the right track? Seems like all signs point to a dying power supply.

king_brad

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Am happy to report that switching the PSU has solved the problem. System works as usual, no hangups or crashes.

The first time I turned the machine on, I did get an error message saying "Overclock failed," but come to think of it, this seems to be what was happening the first time I turned it on after a sudden power loss. It has not happened again since.

One thing that worries me: The 12V voltage now shows up at about 10.9-11.0V on software monitoring, which is even worse than before. Should I be concerned, or is this just an example of the software monitoring being unreliable?

BTW: The new power supply is an OCZ ModStream 600W, straight out of the box. Rest of the system is:

Intel Q9450
Asus P5Q
HS 4870
4GB Patriot DDR3-1333 1.7V
300GB WD Velociraptor (main), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (data)