Advice Please: Basic Laptop Recommendation

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 8:17:03 AM

I need to get a older laptop for basic e-mail(and perhaps MAME), and
was hoping to get remmendations for one that has the best battery life.

I really don't need a feature rich pc. Just a reliable one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 19, 2005 3:59:26 AM

The problem with older laptops is that they often had short battery-lives in
the first place (due to battery technology at the time), and to compound
this, they will often come with batteries which are near the end of their
life. You may be looking at 2.5 hours, at best, 15mins in one with a dud
battery. Li-ion batteries generally last 2 years, 3 years max, even if
unused. Ni-Cad and NiMh last much longer if they've been looked after.
Batteries cost around £200, and may be unavailable for some old laptops.

It's a good idea to go for a known reliable laptop - laptops generally are
prone to breaking down, and if you go for an older one, you want to make
sure it is solidly made. I recommend these models, they are ones that I've
seen people using nowadays for word-processing, checking emails etc..

IBM Thinkpad
Toshiba Tecra
Dell Latitude
Compaq (but make sure it's an old one - the new ones are not as solidly
built)
Apple Powerbooks

All the best,
Duncan Murray.

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
>I need to get a older laptop for basic e-mail(and perhaps MAME), and
> was hoping to get remmendations for one that has the best battery life.
>
> I really don't need a feature rich pc. Just a reliable one.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 19, 2005 7:51:11 AM

Hi,
I have an Acer TravelMate 803LCi Laptop which was chosen for its long
battery standby time which was great to start with. Now, having had it
for just over a year it does not seem to last for as long - do you
think it is because I mainly use it plugged into the mains.
Regards
BeverleyClark
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 4:31:05 AM

<beverley.clark2@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have an Acer TravelMate 803LCi Laptop which was chosen for its long
> battery standby time which was great to start with. Now, having had it
> for just over a year it does not seem to last for as long - do you
> think it is because I mainly use it plugged into the mains.
> Regards
> BeverleyClark

You probably have an Li-Ion battery - these will dimish in capacity, even
after just a year. If you want to preserve the battery life, you need to
keep it at 40% charge, and cool (i.e. not in the laptop), but this means you
basically can't really use it, and you're only slowing its degeneration, not
stopping it.

As I mostly use my laptop plugged in, I just leave it at 40% in my drawer,
and then charge it up the night before I need to take it out. But I often
can't be bothered, and just leave it in the machine. I've had my laptop for
about 1.4 years and the battery has 78% of it's capacity left.

Duncan.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 27, 2005 7:26:18 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Obviously the laptop battery issue is going to be too much, so I might
as well concentrate on getting a something that I can just type on.
Some sort of "portable word processor". Then all I'd have to worry
about is the ability to transfer documents(like notepad) to and from my
pc.

Thanks again.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.