Closed Solved

Another 5870 vs 470 GTX question - 10/28/10

Hey guys, I have a $450 budget and recently my 9800 GT died so I'm looking to upgrade. Now, I'm asking about these two cards but if you have another suggestion don't be bashful; go ahead and suggest away. Anyway, I have found a 2gb vram sapphire version of 5870 for ~370 on newegg but then the 470 gtx is $270. I'm wondering if the price difference is worth it? I can't find a definitive answer. Anyway, thanks for your help!

p.s specs;
E8500 3.16ghz wolf
4gb ocz plat
antec 1200
gigabyte ep45-ds3r
run at 1900x1200 resolution
54 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about another 5870 question
  1. I would get a HD6870 performs a little bit lower than GTX470 but is cheaper and more power efficient. The HD5870 is not worth the $100 price premium over the GTX470. Your Dual core will be a slight bottleneck for all those cards.
  2. I would go with 6870 at $240.

    58xx will be phased out, and the price is too high. Definitely not a good choice.
  3. Of the two cards you listed, the GTX470 is a bargain at $100 less than a 5870. You should also be able to get a nice custom card with an improved heatsink cooler. Don't forget, if you play games that feature PhysX, the GTX470 is your only choice, as AMD cards do not support PhysX.
  4. 17seconds said:
    Of the two cards you listed, the GTX470 is a bargain at $100 less than a 5870. You should also be able to get a nice custom card with an improved heatsink cooler. Don't forget, if you play games that feature PhysX, the GTX470 is your only choice, as AMD cards do not support PhysX.

    what game(s) do PhysX? and how much improvement are we talking about?
  5. cirslevin said:
    what game(s) do PhysX? and how much improvement are we talking about?

    PhysX is proprietary to Nvidia cards, so it is impossible to enable it on the 5870. Games that support PhysX are Unreal Tournament III, Mafia 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dark Void, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Mirror's Edge and:
    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_all.html

    An improved heatsink will lower temps by 10-20c and reduce noise to near silent levels.
  6. cirslevin said:
    what game(s) do PhysX? and how much improvement are we talking about?


    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html

    Be aware of a few critical details about deciding if GPU accelerated physX matters to you:
    1) Most PhysX titles do not offer GPU accelerated PhysX. PhysX runs on the CPU in these games.
    2) Many "PhysX" titles are only physX titles because they use a game engine that is capible of physX, and doesn't actually use those features.
    3) Of the games listed in the link above, not all gain any real performance advantages with GPU accelerated physX, as it's not significant enough of a performance hit to need it.

    There are a handful of games were it is pretty cool and may be something you'd like to see, but in most physX titles, it's not a big deal and usually offers no benefit at all. Batman AA is one noted to look better with physX, Metro 2033 has some very minor improvements. Dark void goes crazy with it, but to use it would require a dedicated card to use anything beyond the lowest setting, which is almost unplayable without a dedicated card.

    Edit:

    It's also important to note, that the list given by the poster above me is not a list of which uses GPU accelerated physX. The vast majority of those titles run exactly the same as it would with an ATI card.
  7. cirslevin said:
    what game(s) do PhysX? and how much improvement are we talking about?



    exactly...
    and who ever uses physX? benchmark? no!
    nobody..
    ati all the way.. nvidia is egg cooker
  8. _orbital_ said:
    exactly...
    and who ever uses physX? benchmark? no!
    nobody..
    ati all the way.. nvidia is egg cooker

    Still spreading the FUD. :pfff:
  9. a?
  10. 470 is the easy choice .... though with a budget of $450 and a SLI capable board. I'd get twin 460's for $420 and the free Hawx game included


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130571

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=589&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=18
  11. _orbital_ said:
    a?

    Legitreviews tried to cook an egg on a GTX480 and it doesn't get nowhere near hot enough to even get the white cloudy let alone cook it, so your comment about egg cookers is FUD.
  12. look at there temps again..
  13. _orbital_ said:
    look at there temps again..

    Try watching the video again.
  14. "great" test this is not a benchmark but running the heaven benchmark on demo, stupid test.
    let it test it run it for real.. bench it. than temps will rise to 90 C
  15. _orbital_ said:
    "great" test this is not a benchmark but running the heaven benchmark on demo, stupid test.
    let it test it run it for real.. bench it. than temps will rise to 90 C

    At the GPU (just like quite a few ATi cards) but not at the heatsink, unless of course you can prove otherwise.
  16. _orbital_ said:
    "great" test this is not a benchmark but running the heaven benchmark on demo, stupid test.
    let it test it run it for real.. bench it. than temps will rise to 90 C


    They do run at 90C, but of course that is their operating temperatures. Their drivers cause the fans to go up and down so it maintains 90C.
  17. bystander said:
    They do run at 90C, but of course that is their operating temperatures. Their drivers cause the fans to go up and down so it maintains 90C.



    well than logically gpu won't last for too long..
  18. _orbital_ said:
    well than logically gpu won't last for too long..

    So in your "expert" opinion, how long do you think they will last?
  19. _orbital_ said:
    well than logically gpu won't last for too long..


    They are manufacturered to run at that temperature, why the hell would Nvidia sell a card that overheats?

    The experts at nvidia have developed this card to run hot, and hot it does run, but in terms of overheating, it still has from 90oc got 15oc to go before it reaches its limits...

    I cant understand where your logic or reasoning comes from by saying these cards wont last long at their operating temperatures of 90oc..
  20. ok, they are build like that.. i got it, but than it will heat up your case dumb solution to make card run hot..
  21. My case is perfectly fine?? They have "blower" fans on these, which means the heat is being pushed from the chipset to the back of the card and out of the case.
    Even if they have custom conventional fans on them, meaning they suck cold air onto the chipset, they do this 5-20oC cooler anyways, bringing the temps from 90oC to 70-80oC?? Still perfectly fine if you ask me

    Both ATI/AMD and Nvi cards run hot, Nvi hotter yes, but nothing a side fan/case fan cant suck the hot air out of the case anyways...
  22. _orbital_ said:
    ok, they are build like that.. i got it, but than it will heat up your case dumb solution to make card run hot..

    The reference cooler exhausts heat outside the case.
  23. hmm.. i have 5850 xfx where fan is in the middle of the card and i have antec case my card runs 36 C idle and 50-57 C load, that's why i was like 90 C ????? wow
    anyway i guess it is what it is
  24. _orbital_ said:
    hmm.. i have 5850 xfx where fan is in the middle of the card and i have antec case my card runs 36 C idle and 50-57 C load, that's why i was like 90 C ????? wow
    anyway i guess it is what it is


    My second Gtx470 runs at 35-45oC Idle and 55-70oC at load... Not much difference??
  25. reccy said:
    My second Gtx470 runs at 35-45oC Idle and 55-70oC at load... Not much difference??



    he he nope..
  26. Enjoy your second rate system dude, i'll enjoy my awesome SLI overheating pile of crap Nvidia has sold..
  27. reccy said:
    Enjoy your second rate system dude, i'll enjoy my awesome SLI overheating pile of crap Nvidia has sold..

    Now that was uncalled for. :non:
  28. reccy said:
    Enjoy your second rate system dude, i'll enjoy my awesome SLI overheating pile of crap Nvidia has sold..



    ;]]]]
  29. Mousemonkey said:
    Now that was uncalled for. :non:


    Sorry, replace "overheating" with "totally awesome"

    My mistake :love:
  30. Let's not turn this into another e-peen contest.
  31. [:aford10:3] in your face with a pile of mace!!
  32. Don't make me come over there and
  33. _orbital_ said:
    ok, they are build like that.. i got it, but than it will heat up your case dumb solution to make card run hot..


    These air cooled systems do work a little different than that.

    If they blow out the back, they don't heat up the case as much, but they do tend to run hotter. If they blow air into the case, the GPU runs cooler, but the case gets hotter, including your CPU.

    If they run the fans higher to keep the temps lower on the GPU, that just means it disperses the heat into the case more rapidly making the case hotter.

    The crazy thing is I was reading an artical with some of the limitations of the 5970's with air cooling. While the GPU's would run around 80-85C, the problem they ran into was the VRM's were running at 120C and once it went over 120C, they'd get the vertical line problem you've heard about so much.

    I'd rather have the GPU itself run a little hotter, yet still managable, than have my VRM's hit 120C.
  34. Don't forget this deal if you have the space and can SLI (and are in the US and like Newegg):

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.513966
  35. bystander said:
    These air cooled systems do work a little different than that.

    If they blow out the back, they don't heat up the case as much, but they do tend to run hotter. If they blow air into the case, the GPU runs cooler, but the case gets hotter, including your CPU.

    If they run the fans higher to keep the temps lower on the GPU, that just means it disperses the heat into the case more rapidly making the case hotter.

    The crazy thing is I was reading an artical with some of the limitations of the 5970's with air cooling. While the GPU's would run around 80-85C, the problem they ran into was the VRM's were running at 120C and once it went over 120C, they'd get the vertical line problem you've heard about so much.

    I'd rather have the GPU itself run a little hotter, yet still managable, than have my VRM's hit 120C.

    This kind of article?

    Where an ATi card hits over 100c but is never talked about by the ATi faithfull.

    Now that's an egg cooker! :lol:
  36. bystander said:
    These air cooled systems do work a little different than that.

    If they blow out the back, they don't heat up the case as much, but they do tend to run hotter. If they blow air into the case, the GPU runs cooler, but the case gets hotter, including your CPU.

    If they run the fans higher to keep the temps lower on the GPU, that just means it disperses the heat into the case more rapidly making the case hotter.

    The crazy thing is I was reading an artical with some of the limitations of the 5970's with air cooling. While the GPU's would run around 80-85C, the problem they ran into was the VRM's were running at 120C and once it went over 120C, they'd get the vertical line problem you've heard about so much.

    I'd rather have the GPU itself run a little hotter, yet still managable, than have my VRM's hit 120C.



    wo wo wo..
    hold on a minute.. ati and 120 C??? card would die..
    but talking about nvidia 90 C we know that that card needs some power to cool it down.. so like i said.. dumb solution to run it on 90 C
  37. My old 4850 single slot beat that. 100-110 C (on the core, not the VRM) and didn't crash, and still works to this day (albeit with a better cooler).

    And another thing to remember, 90-100 C at the Chip or VRM != 90-100 C at the top of the cooler or back of the card. There are phenomena called conduction and convection which means these exterior portions of the chip must be a finite difference lower than the hottest central part of the chip.
  38. EXT64 said:
    My old 4850 single slot beat that. 100-110 C (on the core, not the VRM) and didn't crash, and still works to this day (albeit with a better cooler).

    And another thing to remember, 90-100 C at the Chip or VRM != 90-100 C at the top of the cooler or back of the card. There are phenomena called conduction and convection which means these exterior portions of the chip must be a finite difference lower than the hottest central part of the chip.



    i don't know.. i saw my old 1950 xt hit 115 C and crashed not died but still.. i think that's too much, even nvidia like people are saying is designed for high temps needs a lot of power to cool it down..
  39. I agree, it is high for my tastes. However, the issue is easy to fix - buy a GTX 470/480 with a cooler like MSI's Twin Frozr 2. Should drop temps to a reasonable level (or so I hope, as I plan on getting one).
  40. i am happy with my 5850 xfx
    not planning in near future to buy any nvidia or only for 3d
    but ati has 3d drivers as well.. so
    ati is the best for now
  41. Well, as you can see I have a 5850 as well and love it too for gaming. However, I'm looking into doing a bit of GPU programming, and frankly NVidia and their CUDA still lead solidly in that area.
  42. _orbital_ said:
    i am happy with my 5850 xfx
    not planning in near future to buy any nvidia or only for 3d
    but ati has 3d drivers as well.. so
    ati is the best for now

    Let's hope their 3D is easier to work with than their multi-monitor setup has been, as it seems some people are still having problems getting Eyefinity to work for them and it's been over a year since that was introduced.
  43. i can't argue about that..
  44. Mousemonkey said:
    Let's hope their 3D is easier to work with than their multi-monitor setup has been, as it seems some people are still having problems getting Eyefinity to work for them and it's been over a year since that was introduced.



    hmmm.. is it really? never experienced that kind of issue
  45. I thought initially it looked like AMD's 3D looked like more of a pain to deal with, however I think I'm immune to 3D, so that isn't a major selling point to me :D
  46. _orbital_ said:
    hmmm.. is it really? never experienced that kind of issue

    Have a read through this thread and you will see that some people are having issues, unless of course you are of the opinion that because you haven't had a problem there is no problem, in which case Nvidia drivers have always been faultless because I've never had a problem with them. [:mousemonkey]
  47. Mousemonkey said:


    I was actually refering to this artical:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3590
  48. bystander said:
    I was actually refering to this artical:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3590

    With both GPU's hitting over 90c that is the mother of all egg cookers I guess! :lol:
  49. Mousemonkey said:
    With both GPU's hitting over 90c that is the mother of all egg cookers I guess! :lol:


    Look at what the VRM's are doing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics Product