Toms Hardware psu recommendation and Gtx 570 question

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I read on the Toms Hardware psu recommendation the it says for SLI of a GTX 570, a good quality 650 watt psu will do. Is this true?

Solution
To be honest it depends as well what games you are wanting to play.

Some are better suited than others and dont get me wrong, i have often contemplated many times about 3 or 4 way sli for a nuts rig, but its the drivers that let them down.

To my knowledge and someone correct me if I am wrong but two 570's doesn't mean 200% performance. I think it translates to 150/160% which kinda sucks.... but it is also the reason why i believe a single card will run better, ok it may not churn out as many PPD for the folders out there but for raw gaming, there is little that can match the Nvidia 580 pound for pound.

If i was you i would buy a single 580, get an EVGA one they have a 10 year guarantee :) then if this isn't enough after 6months...

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
The cost difference between a 750 watt and a 1000 watt isn't much now, so why buy just enough?

Go with a 1000watt and you will have room to spare, for any future changes.

Also can i ask why two 570's in sli and not one 580?

Dual GPU's are still glitchy and are you sure your MOBO has two PCI-e slots with 16 lanes?

Most have a second or third slot with 8 lanes or 4. This will create a bottle neck for the cards and you wont be pleased with your investment.

I don't think so.. A single 570 under full load can eat upto 225W (may be more).. Thus, 500W of minimum power is required for two video cards alone without considering a required heavily overclocked CPU and the rest of the system components.. IMO a good 850 PSU is required to efficiently power a two way 570 SLI configuration..

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Ok 700 will be ok. So that means I can oc the cpu too? Will buy a i52500k or i72600k.

So you think SLI are not worth doing? Single card is better?

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
To be honest it depends as well what games you are wanting to play.

Some are better suited than others and dont get me wrong, i have often contemplated many times about 3 or 4 way sli for a nuts rig, but its the drivers that let them down.

To my knowledge and someone correct me if I am wrong but two 570's doesn't mean 200% performance. I think it translates to 150/160% which kinda sucks.... but it is also the reason why i believe a single card will run better, ok it may not churn out as many PPD for the folders out there but for raw gaming, there is little that can match the Nvidia 580 pound for pound.

If i was you i would buy a single 580, get an EVGA one they have a 10 year guarantee :) then if this isn't enough after 6months simply get another !

Please remember though that this does mean you need a good MOBO and quick CPU, NO DUAL CORE's PLEASE!

Screen wise, go 1900 x 1200 as an absolute minimum otherwise this graphics grunt you have will be wasted.

I hope this helps ;)

Solution

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

This helps, but now I wonder if I need to SLI, I just bought the Gigabyte GV-N570D5-I3I-B 570 but maybe I should just single card and later buy what ever the lastet fastest card is.

With about a 150$ price difference when compared to a GTX 580, the GTX 570 is a very capable card IMO.. Also, going SLI is not necessary unless you want to crank up the details for heavy games.. Remember, no matter what detail levels you play, the game remains the same..

That is a great card and should be plenty for your planned resolution but if you so desire a SLI GTX570 setup is really powerful.

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I still think the 580 would be the better investment but this is only if you buy a screen with 1900 x 1200 resolution.

You WILL be able to play games to a good level with a 570 on this screen but it depends on what you deem acceptable. I agree they are very good cards.

TRENDING THREADS