SLI not working on all games

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitviper70

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I have a nice set-up:
2x460, M4N72-E mobo, etc.

SLI works on some games but not on others - I know this because I enabled the SLI screen display and it displays on games like Civ 5 but not on others like TF2 (HL2) or iRacing.

The other thing I notice is that the games it does not work in are not displayed on the Manage 3D Settings/Program Settings. I went in and added them manually but still to no avail. Using Afterburner, I can see that both cards are getting use but I'm not getting the framerates that I think that I should be getting.

Solution

What FPS are you getting? You could have v-sync on and limited to your vertical refresh rate for your max FPS. If you expected higher, you can disable v-sync, but be aware, your monitor will still not show more than it's refresh rate allowed, even if you are getting much higher FPS.

pitviper70

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010

SLI should work on all games that use 3D rendering. Those are the games that Nvidia has an out of the box profile for (that list is also out of date). You can create a custom profile, ie add a game manually, but the SLI on screen indicator is not working for those games that I manually added.

Additional information:

I should mention that on previous versions of the drivers (and previous vid cards), I was able to see the SLI screen indicator in these other games. It's only recently that I noticed some of the frame rates on those games wasn't what I expected. This is after my 2x9600GT to 2x460 upgrade. I also have the NVIDIA 3D Vision set-up and is one reason for my expectation of high frame rates.

Not all games are support SLI. Some of them are 3D rendered.

You might have to accept that you won't get SLI in all games. I have 1 game myself that doesn't support it at all, and that's Dawn of War 2.

SLI also does not work when you are in windowed mode. If you play any of those games in windowed mode, try fullscreen.

Lastly, Nvidia has AA modes that are useful in situations like this. SLI AA will use your 2nd video card to help perform AA without stressing the primary card. You might try using those modes in games that won't SLI.

pitviper70

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
And... With that, I decided to check the NVIDIA 3D set-up. I turned it off and sure enough the SLI screen indicator showed up on both games I listed above. I'm still not getting the FPS throughput I expect, but at least it looks like SLI is working on those games. It looks like I need to file a bug report with NVIDIA.

What FPS are you getting? You could have v-sync on and limited to your vertical refresh rate for your max FPS. If you expected higher, you can disable v-sync, but be aware, your monitor will still not show more than it's refresh rate allowed, even if you are getting much higher FPS.

Solution

pitviper70

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
On my old cards, I was able to get up to 200FPS on TF2 and 300FPS on iRacing. Things slowed down to under 50FPS when the screen gets busy.

I'm not getting over 120fps in either game - I have a 120hz monitor so it sounds like that is the problem.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.