HD 6870 in Xfire vs 69xx ( when released )

Status
Not open for further replies.

dompolanco

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: When ever I make up my mind.
BUDGET RANGE None

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, mainly WoW, but Also higher graphic demanding games such as Fallout, Crysys, Steam games ( HL2+ Engine)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Antec CP-1000 1000W Continuous.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Case; Antec CF-85
Motherboard; ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU; AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core. (stock speeds)
RAM; G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Video Card: GTX 460 1GB

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: ATI Cards.

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION; 1600x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Basically i'm going to upgrade my GPU. I saw that the new 6800 series came out, and the 6870 entices me. I want to get a pair to Crossfire them, although I'm worried that I'll waste 500-600ish $ to want to replace them when the 69xx comes out. Would you guys recommend I get 2x 6870's crossfire, or just wait for a single 6970?ish to come out (IF everything thought about it is accurate, 20-30% increase from the 5970.) Will the 2x 6870's be enough to hold on to until a next gen card comes out ? Or... well you get the idea ;p

Also; will 2x 6870's be good with the current system setup for max settings and 60+ FPS everywhere in WoW ? ( Yes I know WoW does not fully support multi-GPU but it does to an extent, so just asking for opinions here ;P.

Thanks for reading guys.

Solution
the way i look at it is you already have a GTX460 which is pretty powerful already, so i would just wait until the 69xx series

if you are not overclocking the stock cooler should work just fine for the cpu, though if you ever wanted to i wouldn't recommend those crappy self contained systems (as they are only as good as the top air coolers) and i would recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (as it fell back to $30)

to carefully OC, i would just google some guides and ask a little in the OC part of the forum here, though as it is a black edition, it makes it a whole lot easier

dompolanco

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Also would like to ask one more question; I'm not a big OC'ing guru, so I've always steered away from it ( even though I got a 955 black edition ). I was wondering what you guys would say to me buying a ECO C80 A.L.C. and OC'ing my CPU, or is my current cooling fine ? I have an antec CF-85 case, with 7 fans, and I have also installed the optional 120MM fan on the side pannel.

What steps would i have to take to carefully OC it ?

Thanks.

the way i look at it is you already have a GTX460 which is pretty powerful already, so i would just wait until the 69xx series

if you are not overclocking the stock cooler should work just fine for the cpu, though if you ever wanted to i wouldn't recommend those crappy self contained systems (as they are only as good as the top air coolers) and i would recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (as it fell back to $30)

to carefully OC, i would just google some guides and ask a little in the OC part of the forum here, though as it is a black edition, it makes it a whole lot easier

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.