Sign in with
Your question

Strange FTP Issue

Last response: in Networking
June 12, 2010 5:15:51 PM

I fix networks and PC's for a living and this is one of the strangest issues I have ever seen. I would like to see what others think could be causing this.

I have a website and I use dreamweaver to upload content. I changed the password at my content provider and also changed it in Dreamweaver "manage sites". The password will not work in Dreamweaver by I can log on using a web browser using that PW.

Here is the strange part. If I remove the dlink dir-825 router and only connect using the cable modem the password work. When the router is connected it will not accept the FTP password. I reset the modem to factory and it will not take the PW.

I had the exact same issue last January after a password change and I went through the same steps and determines it only worked using a direct cable modem connection. That is when I installed this dlink DIR-825 router and it fixed the issue (for the last 6 months). I figured back then that something happened to my linksys router. However now that the same issue has returned I don't think it's the router.

Any ideas?

More about : strange ftp issue

June 12, 2010 8:42:12 PM

pcmacmedic said:
I fix networks and PC's for a living and this is one of the strangest issues I have ever seen. I would like to see what others think could be causing this.

I have a website and I use dreamweaver to upload content. I changed the password at my content provider and also changed it in Dreamweaver "manage sites". The password will not work in Dreamweaver by I can log on using a web browser using that PW.

Here is the strange part. If I remove the dlink dir-825 router and only connect using the cable modem the password work. When the router is connected it will not accept the FTP password. I reset the modem to factory and it will not take the PW.

I had the exact same issue last January after a password change and I went through the same steps and determines it only worked using a direct cable modem connection. That is when I installed this dlink DIR-825 router and it fixed the issue (for the last 6 months). I figured back then that something happened to my linksys router. However now that the same issue has returned I don't think it's the router.

Any ideas?

There is a clue in your dir825 manual at page 89 & 90.
They speak mostly of email and "certain sites" here. Perhaps this applies to you?
Here is what I found:

Section 6 - Troubleshooting
3. Why can’t I connect to certain sites or send and receive emails when connecting through my router?
If you are having a problem sending or receiving email, or connecting to secure sites such as eBay, banking sites, and Hotmail, we suggest lowering the MTU in increments of ten (Ex. 1492, 1482, 1472, etc).
Note: AOL DSL+ users must use MTU of 1400.
To find the proper MTU Size, you’ll have to do a special ping of the destination you’re trying to go to. A destination could be another computer, or a URL.
• Click on Start and then click Run.
• Windows® 95, 98, and Me users type in command (Windows® NT, 2000, and XP users type in cmd) and press Enter (or click OK).
• Once the window opens, you’ll need to do a special ping. Use the following syntax:
ping

You should start at 1472 and work your way down by 10 each time. Once you get a reply, go up by 2 until you get a fragmented packet. Take that value and add 28 to the value to account for the various TCP/IP headers. For example, lets say that 1452 was the proper value, the actual MTU size would be 1480, which is the optimum for the network we’re working with (1452+28=1480).
Once you find your MTU, you can now configure your router with the proper MTU size.
To change the MTU rate on your router follow the steps below:
• Open your browser, enter the IP address of your router (192.168.0.1) and click OK.
• Enter your username (admin) and password (blank by default). Click OK to enter the web configuration page for the device.
• Click on Setup and then click Manual Configure.
• To change the MTU enter the number in the MTU field and click Save Settings to save your settings.
• Test your email. If changing the MTU does not resolve the problem, continue changing the MTU in increments of ten.
" target="_blank"> [-f] [-l] [MTU value]
Example: ping yahoo.com -f -l 1472

You should start at 1472 and work your way down by 10 each time. Once you get a reply, go up by 2 until you get a fragmented packet. Take that value and add 28 to the value to account for the various TCP/IP headers. For example, lets say that 1452 was the proper value, the actual MTU size would be 1480, which is the optimum for the network we’re working with (1452+28=1480).
Once you find your MTU, you can now configure your router with the proper MTU size.
To change the MTU rate on your router follow the steps below:
• Open your browser, enter the IP address of your router (192.168.0.1) and click OK.
• Enter your username (admin) and password (blank by default). Click OK to enter the web configuration page for the device.
• Click on Setup and then click Manual Configure.
• To change the MTU enter the number in the MTU field and click Save Settings to save your settings.
• Test your email. If changing the MTU does not resolve the problem, continue changing the MTU in increments of ten.
m
l
June 15, 2010 4:33:08 PM

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I did try that along with a bunch of other modifications to the router. I finally pulled an old linksys WRT54G router out from storage and connected. This resolved the issue. Here is the strange part. I waited a few hours then reinstalled the dlink router and everything works on the Dlink now. I have 4 computers that automatically FTP weather data to the web and all are working now.

I have no idea why changing to the Linksys router then back to the dlink router would resolve this. As part of the initial troubleshooting I had completely shut down everything and powered back on (figuring there was a cache setting or something) and that did not fix it a few weeks back. I also restored all net equip to factory settings after the power down.

I wonder if this originated at the ISP (Time-Warner). Maybe something in their net equipment was flushed out somehow when I changed equip then back again. I really want to understand what caused this although I am more happy to have this resolved.
m
l
!