I NEED HELP no sound on my new computer build

arrudast

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
So i have a new computer i just built, fast, and everything runs great. I recently had a problem with an x on sound and said "audio device is disabled" and after a while i found the solution from typing some things in commant promt. Then it said i have sound, volume and everything. Download my driver i need from realtek, and put in speakers that it read. Only thing is nothing comes out and when i try to test sound on any speaker or headphone it says "failed to play test tone" it's on windows 8 and its my motherboards onboard sound. I have tried a lot of things but i dont get it. Alot of people said to try to disable all enhancements but that didnt do anything..ive tried to update drivers and all. And im pretty sure i even went to services and reset windows audio which most people get the solution from that, i did not. I get mad because my speakers when they plug it it even pops up that a speaker has been plugged in and my volume icon looks ready. But nothing comes out.. On device manager its tell me on sounds video and game controllers that i have two "High definition Audio Devices" and 1 "Realtek High definition Audio"
can someone please help me out all i want is sound so i can finally finish and use my computer...
my parts are
evga z68 micro motherboard
intel i7 processor
g skill ram
asus optical drive my cousin gave me
western digital 1tb hard drive
ge force gtx 600 series video card

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Ok, Going to wing it here. Let windows load up, if the speaker Icon has a cross over it the device is disabled. In any case you will have two Realtek High definition Audio devices listed, one will be for the back set of ports coming from the back of the tower off the back of the board, and the other reference will be for any front audio ports that you may have on the front side of the case, Say for example to plug a headset in as well for a communications device like a headset and mic.

All you have to do is work out, out of the two, should be enabled. One will be the back ports if enabled, if it does not work disable it and try the other device, also make sure you set each as the default audio device aswell, by right clicking on the devices and selecting default audio device from the menu then apply.
You can do this by right clicking on the sound speaker, selecting playback devices, right click on say Hd audio realtek and selecting enable in the menu, or setting it as the default audio device.

arrudast

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

i dont have a front panel port that works. was depending on the back ones ):

arrudast

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

and also... since i feel like ive tried everything and everything on windows is working properly its just not coming out..and it ends up that i have bad onboard audio, if i got a sound card plugged it in would it work and if it was only bad onboard audio should the sound card make the sound work?

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
When you go into device manager, does it list the audio device in the sound,video and game controllers list. ? As realtek Hd audio device, or a HD audio device. ? If it says disabled simply right click and enable it.

arrudast

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

its all there, and all enabled. just dont get it

arrudast

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

also when i try to test any of the audio devices in i get the error message "failed to play test tone"

arrudast

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

well thats the one i already have downloaded for my 64 bit:( ive tried uninstalling it and re downloading already

arrudast

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

ill have to try that since i cant think of anything anymore

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Try version 2.67 if you can find it some people are saying they got the sound to work with that version of the driver, It may be a case of having to update the bios firmware to get it working, so have a look at bios updates for the board to see if there is a fix.

arrudast

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

well i never downloaded a bios driver idk if that would have anything to do with it ill try that also

arrudast

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

tried version 2.67... no change

tried installing bios drivers. no change.....could it just be my bad onboard audio-___-

arrudast

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

tried version 2.67... no change

tried installing bios drivers. no change.....could it just be my bad onboard audio-___-