Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Problem with Battlestar

Tags:
  • Domain
  • Email
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 11:54:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Hello,

I'm getting a lot of spams on my e-mail address, so I decided to find out
why. I found out two sites that contain my e-mail address:
Battlestar and The Last Domain.
I checked them both and only the Battlestar has my e-mail address, the other
match appears because of some strange caching google is doing (?!).
Never mind. So I tried to HIDE my e-mail address several times from the web.
But I failed, so I tried to get my password (thinking that I forgot it).
Then something happened: I got an email that I'm not registered. What???!
http://www.thelastdomain.com/vgap/host/games/p615.htm
This is the link that shows that I'm somehow registered.

Now, all I want is to have the page somehow removed or at least , have my
e-mail address HIDDEN, PLEASE!

Thank you in advance to the owner of the The Last Domain site (I'm sorry,
but I don't remember him right now).

Dacian
dacianhantig ( a$t ) rdslink.ro

More about : problem battlestar

Anonymous
October 9, 2004 11:54:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

"Dacian Hantig" <dacianhantig@rdslink.ro> wrote in message
news:2sqje9F1msphcU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Hello,
>
> I'm getting a lot of spams on my e-mail address, so I decided to find out
> why. I found out two sites that contain my e-mail address:
> Battlestar and The Last Domain.
> I checked them both and only the Battlestar has my e-mail address, the
> other match appears because of some strange caching google is doing (?!).
> Never mind. So I tried to HIDE my e-mail address several times from the
> web. But I failed, so I tried to get my password (thinking that I forgot
> it). Then something happened: I got an email that I'm not registered.
> What???!
> http://www.thelastdomain.com/vgap/host/games/p615.htm
> This is the link that shows that I'm somehow registered.
>
> Now, all I want is to have the page somehow removed or at least , have my
> e-mail address HIDDEN, PLEASE!
>
> Thank you in advance to the owner of the The Last Domain site (I'm sorry,
> but I don't remember him right now).
>

Why didn't you just send me an email?

If you were having problems why didn't you email both hosts and ask for
help?

----------------------------------------------------------------
If you check the page you will see your email address is hidden!
You already set that!
http://www.thelastdomain.com/vgap/host/games/p615.htm
----------------------------------------------------------------

I have no control over Googles cache but you don't have to worry because
robots do not use Googles cache.

All commands to either Ed's host or My host must be sent from the email
address you signed up with or the host on either site will not know you as a
player and you must have the correct password.

--

Regards,
Merlyn
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 11:54:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

"Dacian Hantig" <dacianhantig@rdslink.ro> wrote in message
news:2sqje9F1msphcU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Hello,
>
> I'm getting a lot of spams on my e-mail address, so I decided to find out
> why. I found out two sites that contain my e-mail address:
> Battlestar and The Last Domain.
> I checked them both and only the Battlestar has my e-mail address, the
> other match appears because of some strange caching google is doing (?!).
> Never mind. So I tried to HIDE my e-mail address several times from the
> web. But I failed, so I tried to get my password (thinking that I forgot
> it). Then something happened: I got an email that I'm not registered.
> What???!
> http://www.thelastdomain.com/vgap/host/games/p615.htm
> This is the link that shows that I'm somehow registered.
>
> Now, all I want is to have the page somehow removed or at least , have my
> e-mail address HIDDEN, PLEASE!
>
> Thank you in advance to the owner of the The Last Domain site (I'm sorry,
> but I don't remember him right now).
>

Sorry about posting twice but......

Once you start getting spam there is no way to stop it. Your name gets sold
and it goes on a millions list and then another an another. It is like the
Borg. Or server blocks "thousands" a day at least one every minute of every
hour of every day! My main email address has been used since the mid 90's
and you cannot believe how much is blocked. Not counting the DDos attacks
and virus that are fought off daily. Currently 85% of all email on the web
is spam, that sure makes things pretty bad for a host that runs a play by
email game! Cooperation works a lot better than complaints :-)

I didn't have to change anything, your address was already set to private
and not showing on the web so you must have changed it.

Take a minute and read what I said in the Vga Planets newsletter back in
June of 2003 in my article:
Will Spam Kill PBEM (Play by Email)?
http://www.battlestarcommand.com/Newsletter/Jun03.htm

BTW: I have added many other lists since then.

--

Regards,
Merlyn
Related resources
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 11:54:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Dacian,

Battlestar Does not have your email address.. since you no longer have an
account on this host. It was deleted some time ago for non-activity, and
you were notified of this before it was done and never replied. As per
Battlestar Site policy your account was inactive for such a long period of
time with no response from you, your account was deleted. Thus that is why
you get the response you did. Therefore your email address is not published
on my site, and your problem isn't coming from here.

Ed
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 6:06:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Thx guys,
Now it is ok. I searched for my email address and it shows two links
(probably they take a while until they're taken out of the Google's cache).
The first is now inexistent :) 
The second is present, but with the email hidden.

Thx again.
Hoping I'll get a smaller amount of spams by each passing day :) 

Dacian
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 6:49:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

> Thx again.
> Hoping I'll get a smaller amount of spams by each passing day :) 

even if you create an email account and never use it you will get spam
sooner or later. This happens because the spam robots also try letter
combinations that could be an email address.

Even if you email would be 9z7vk35j@kahf.com you would get spam. Was a
nice guy on tv who explained how that works but I can't remember
details. Of course, once you really got a spam mail that address is
saved and sold to others.

Just be happy about viagra offers, p**** enlargement pills, hints how to
satisvy your wife,... or simply use a spam filter. Even the filter that
is included in Mozilla works ok.

Cheers
Michael
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 9:44:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Hi,

The easiest way for a spammer to harvest your email address is the from
field of your newsgroups postings. That is a lot greater source of spam
than some WWW address. There are nowadays some quite good filters to go
around with, I would recommend looking up SpamPal or PopFile. But really
there are lots of others.
--
There are 11 type of people in the world.
Those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who are.
www.akseli.net/~akseli/vgap
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 1:41:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

I created a email address for my 2 year old (just so the name didn't
get taken) never posted, never released it or used it to email any
one.
One day I received 150+ spams, next another 150+. I have now deleted
the account.
No matter what you do, you will get spam, its part of the Internet.
I don't think your spam will decrease much.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 1:41:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

>I created a email address for my 2 year old (just so the name didn't
> get taken) never posted, never released it or used it to email any
> one.
> One day I received 150+ spams, next another 150+. I have now deleted
> the account.
> No matter what you do, you will get spam, its part of the Internet.
> I don't think your spam will decrease much.

Even the characters from Doom 3 (dead ones, it's true :)  ) got spams :) 
Mars Buddy! :) 
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:12:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

> Even the characters from Doom 3 (dead ones, it's true :)  ) got spams :) 
> Mars Buddy! :) 

Hehe...

i bet this depends on the providers too (and their maybe financial problems)
that freshly created adresses ''suddenly/accidentally'' appear on
spam-lists.....
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:12:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

"Andreas Huck" <blaaaaaa@t-online.de> wrote in
<ckg2un$phu$03$1@news.t-online.com>:

>> Even the characters from Doom 3 (dead ones, it's true :)  ) got spams
>> :)  Mars Buddy! :) 
>
>Hehe...
>
>i bet this depends on the providers too (and their maybe financial
>problems) that freshly created adresses ''suddenly/accidentally'' appear
>on spam-lists.....
>

Yep, it does.

Pick