Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Temps normal for a GTX 460 1gb?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2010 6:16:24 PM

I have a Palit Sonic OC GTX 460 1gb clocked at 725 at the core and 3700 at the memory.

At startup with not any apps open (super idle) the card idles at 44c

When i open all my regular apps (firefox 3.6.11 with 21 tabs, Chrome 7.0.5 with 5 tabs, HWmonitor, Resource Monitor, 5 explorer windows, 2 PDF docs, DAP 9.3, Limewire 5.5 pro, Yahoo Messegner 10, Windows Live Messenger 11, Flashget 1.9.6, Camfrog 5.5, Norton IS 2011) it goes to a steady 56c and just SITS there.

Thats how i leave my computer with those apps always open BTW.

Then on top of that i play games like (Dirt 2, GTA 4 TBOGT, Batman Arkham Asylum, Sims 3, Crysis Warhead, Blur, Runes of Magic, Cabal Online, Tom Clancy HAWX, UT3, Red Alert 3, Test Drive Unlimited, NFS Shift) it goes to max of 75c

Furmark extreme burning mode with Post FX at 1440x900 bakes my card at 86c. MAX temp i got on Furmark burning in one HOT and DRY sunny day was 90c. Ambient was like 32c.

And i live in a tropical country so ambient temps never go below 24c (christmas season) and maxes out at 34c (summer time).

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz (stock clocks and cooling)
MSI 890gmx-g65
Kingston DDR3 1333mhz 2gb dual channel x 4 = 8gb
Palit Sonic OC GTX 460 1GB (Manual OC to 725mhz/3700mhz)
WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200rpm 16mb cache Sata2
WD Caviar Green 2TB 7200rpm 64mb cache Sata2
Seagate 20gb 5400rpm 8mb cache Pata IDE
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w Modular single +12v rail @ 56amps
one (1) 80mm Auxilliary CPU cooler fan
Seven (7) 120mm Case fans (Exhaust/Intake/Case)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 6:35:43 PM

Sounds right to me, espically given ambient temps.
Score
October 28, 2010 6:48:34 PM

I think that 90c for a gtx 460 is way too high. I seperated my msi cyclone GTX 460 cards in SLI so the top card wouldn't run close to 90c. With them seperated they stay around 58-60c while running Furmark. I got about the same temps when using a single card.

I don't know how good the Palit cooler is but I wouldn't be comfortable with temps that high. Do you leave the fan set to auto in Afterburner?
Score
Related resources
October 28, 2010 6:56:49 PM

beekermartin said:
I think that 90c for a gtx 460 is way too high. I seperated my msi cyclone GTX 460 cards in SLI so the top card wouldn't run close to 90c. With them seperated they stay around 58-60c while running Furmark. I got about the same temps when using a single card.

I don't know how good the Palit cooler is but I wouldn't be comfortable with temps that high. Do you leave the fan set to auto in Afterburner?

No, i've set an aggressive fan profile in Afterburner when the card hits 70c the fan goes on full 100%.

Right now im Folding at Home team 40051 with my GTX 460, afterburner shows 100% GPU usage, fan 100% and current temp is 71c.
Score
October 28, 2010 7:05:31 PM

Anything less than 104c according to Nvdia is ok so your fine. It sounds like your Palit doesn't have the best cooler or your case doesn't have good airflow. Most 460s run much cooler than that. If you read the reviews you will see what I mean.

You could always remove the cooler and replace the thermal paste with something better like AS5. It might help but it probably won't make that much of a difference.
Score
October 28, 2010 7:12:17 PM

Yeah it seems my card is running a bit warmer than the reviews... Considering my Palit is not a Sonic Platinum OC its just the standard Sonic OC w/c has no heatpipes, only has a large black aluminum heatsink. And maybe because im in the tropics.

Well i had this card within two months now and its never shown me artifacts or screen tearing or corruptions of some sort for now. I guess in my situation, temps are normal.
Score
October 28, 2010 7:17:21 PM

flowingbass said:
Yeah it seems my card is running a bit warmer than the reviews... Considering my Palit is not a Sonic Platinum OC its just the standard Sonic OC w/c has no heatpipes, only has a large black aluminum heatsink. And maybe because im in the tropics.

Well i had this card within two months now and its never shown me artifacts or screen tearing or corruptions of some sort for now. I guess in my situation, temps are normal.

It sounds like it to me. If your concerned look around for a good aftermarket cooler for it. It sounds like the cooler on your Palit is not the best but it is getting the job done. Furmark is brutal on cards and you were still well below the max temp threshold while running it. No game will push your card as hard as Furmark does so you are safe.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 7:21:54 PM

flowingbass said:

Your correct with everything you said. I think its all normal. I would not consider buying a new cooler.
That model has a smaller pcb and basic block cooler, no heat pipes. Which is even more simple than the other shrouded 'reference' 460's. Factor in, the tropics. Normal.
October 28, 2010 7:22:31 PM

beekermartin said:
Furmark is brutal on cards and you were still well below the max temp threshold while running it. No game will push your card as hard as Furmark does so you are safe.

You are definitely correct on that. My gaming temps never goes above 76c anyway so im good to go =)
Score
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 8:14:20 PM

Palit models of the GTX460 were never known to be all that good when it comes to cooling. There is a list of complaints that people have about this card such as loud fan or no vrm cooling. The gpu cooler is crap. The fan and face plate is crap. Don't expect any better with other models as they ALL have their own problems. The Gigabyte models have VERY sharps fans and I cut my self a few times -_-.

The Good news is that your card can mount G92 coolers which most GTX460 models do not so you should look into that as a option.
Score
November 4, 2010 2:43:13 AM

Best answer selected by flowingbass.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 3:35:44 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!