Hp 09F0h motherboard:

nrmr44

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I ran 'Intel Chipset Identification Utility' on my HP dc7600 Desktop with i945G/GZ Chipset and a Western Digital 80GB SATA HDD, and got the following:

"I/O Controller:
Intel(R) 82801GB/GR I/O controller hub (ICH7/ICH7R) SATA Controller found in IDE mode"

Does that mean I'm running my HDD in IDE mode only? How do I set the controller in SATA mode?

Thanks in anticipation. :)

Best regards.

Sata has two settings; "native ide" or "achi". You can go into the bios and check which one you are set to. Some older boards may not have the "achi" option. Here's the procedure for changing an ide windows installation so it works in achi mode: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?69682-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation. You must follow these instructions if you have already installed windows in native ide mode. Achi advantages: trip support with windows 7 and hot swap capability when adding a drive, windows will detect it while running and set it up.

nrmr44

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

Many thanks. Will let you know how it went. Best regards.

nrmr44

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

Neither my BIOS nor my Registry shows a setting option for AHCI. So I presume Win XP Pro SP3, which is my OS, does not support AHCI. While this may deny me the higher SATA features such as TRIM, does this also impair my transfer speed, which ought to be 3.0 Gbps as per my HDD's spec? That is my primary concern right now. Will be grateful for any information on this. Regards.

nrmr44

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

Thanks o1die. Appreciate your help.