ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 vs Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3

andyaustin

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Both the boards are ~$110 at after rebate. I'm wondering which one is better?

I'm going to pair it with a 2500K. My primary criteria would be future proofness, as I would like to keep this for atleast 4-5 years. If I could make a Hackintosh out of it, great!

I know TomsHardware suggests the Gigabyte after the review for boards under $160, but it did not include the Extreme3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
In the respective price ranges the Extreme4 and Extreme7 got Tom's recommended hardware awards. The Extreme3 has the most features you'll find in that price range. The Extreme3 Gen3 has PCIe 3.0 x16 slots so that the board can use PCIe 3.0 video cards if you upgrade to ivy bridge. For me it's a no-brainer between those two boards.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
In the respective price ranges the Extreme4 and Extreme7 got Tom's recommended hardware awards. The Extreme3 has the most features you'll find in that price range. The Extreme3 Gen3 has PCIe 3.0 x16 slots so that the board can use PCIe 3.0 video cards if you upgrade to ivy bridge. For me it's a no-brainer between those two boards.

Solution

andyaustin

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Thanks pro-gamer & danraies. I'm leaning towards the ASRock now.

I'm getting a CoolerMaster cooler for the CPU because it was on a great deal at NewEgg. I think one review (don't remember where) mentioned that the heatsink in this board blocks these kind of coolers? Is that true?

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

I've never heard that and the Extreme3 is pretty low-profile. Just looking at it I can't see where anything would get in the way, but I don't own it so I'm not the best authority.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
I have an Asrock Ex3 Gen3 w/CM212+. HSF doesn't block anything but the 1st RAM slot and just barely. Using G.Skill 112800CL9D=8GBRL RAM which has a heat spreader and it clears the HSF easily, just install the RAM first. I might even have enough room to remove the 1st stick but I'm not going to be a test bed.

andyaustin

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Thank you danraies and DelroyMonjo. I ordered the CM212 too!

Final question, I just came across this review and forum thread http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/09/asrock_z68_extreme4_gen3_motherboard_review/ which completely destroyed the board on its build quality. Any truth in this? As far as I understand ASRock is a subsidy of ASUS, right?

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Like I said, i don't own the board, but it gets recommended all the time for gaming builds in that price range by people whose opinion I respect. Plus I've seen several very good reviews - if I were buying a $130 Z68 mobo right now I'd pick the Extreme3. That might not be worth more than first-hand experience with the board, though.

xeonox

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

i have the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, and its a great board, i got my 2500K up to 4.8 on air and can probably got higher once i start tweaking it out. the Asrock is good also, but i think the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 is a newer board and out did it. As time goes on more people will probably reccommend the gigabyte board, only problem is its new there isnt a wide range of owners with the board yet.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

I'm pretty sure the GA-Z68XP-UD3 was released in June and the Extreme3 was released in August. I can't find solid sources but the first newegg comment on the GA-Z68XP-UD3 was on June 28th and the first comment on the Extreme3 was August 21st.

Either way, the Extreme3 is definitely the newer board and it has the better reputation - especially in this forum. However the GA-Z68XP-UD3 and the Extreme3 are really the only two gaming options at this price point - I don't know of another $125 board with x8/x8.

andyaustin

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Thanks all. I decided on ASRock.

I think danraies is right - The Extreme3 is newer compared to GA-Z68XP-UD3. Toms Hardware's review was on July 11th which means the GA-Z68XP-UD3 was released around that time. Since the Extreme3 was not included in the review (the Pro3 was), I am inclined to believe that it was not released then.